+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Being defeated by brown algae/dino?

Administrator
    Good to see. Keep at 18 hours, and clean it.

Cleaned it by pulling out a majority of the hair algae. Didnt scrub or anything so not sure if i did this right. Growth is back up to about 30% of what it was before cleaning now but my n03 is at about 6ppm now and p04 is 0.04. Is it common for it to go up after a cleaning?

edit: forgot to mention, also getting more film algae on my glass for some reason. the brown dino is still staying at minimal levels so im happy about that.

Administrator
    Yes, since a scrubber removes nutrients, and not food particles, after you clean it the filtering will be less and the nutrients will start going up.

Gotcha... Dino is still here but a lot less than it was, hopefully it goes away soon. I'm still unsure how often to clean the screen, it says 7-21 days or when it's full, cause the hair algae mainly grows in the middle and is empty on top and bottom. Should I let it go past 21 days until it's completely full? And when I clean do I just remove the main portion or should I scrub it in my sink to get rid of all the smaller parts?

I also started feeding more heavily and I know the hog1 is only rated up to 1 cube a day, but I also have a skimmer. How do I know when my scrubber is too small for how much I feed? I tried searching on the subject but couldn't find much info.

Thanks again for all the help.

Administrator
    Sounds like you should toothbrush clean the whole thing so you see all the white surfaces, every 10 days. Run for 20 hours of light.

As for size, if the nutrients in the water get low, and the rocks eventually clean off most gha and get covered in periphyton, then the scrubber is enough. If the nutrients in the water stay high and the nuisance algae continues, then the scrubber is not enough.

Cool thanks. im thinking of ordering another hog, do you suggest I order another hog 1 and run two of them or just order 1 larger one?

Administrator
    It's just a matter of cost and space. You can't scrub too much; they just grow less if not needed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information