+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LOUD and uneven water flow - need input

LOUD and uneven water flow - need input

Building my second ATS.
    Using 1" pvc the whole way.
    PVC plumbed directly to an EcoPlus 1110 turned all the way down.
    Cut a 1/8" slot for the screen, yes it's straight.
    1) This thing is LOUD. No frakking way my husband's going to tolerate that in the sump. I can't imagine that building a box around it will decrease the noise enough. The screen sits in the water about 1". I have put it in the sump for a preliminary test before moving it to the Brute for modifications.
    2) The water flow isn't an even sheet. I'm thinking widening the slot will help but wanted some input before I venture down the road. Perhaps I have too much flow?
    https://youtu.be/nu4rKtCSAcI

FWIW: My first build I used 1/2" PVC plumbed to a maxijet 1200 and lit with an incandescent bulb. Obviously not to any minimum spec but I wanted to build a pseudo-prototype out of supplies on hand to see what happened. Growth is even and lovely, but not enough. So I'm into bigger now.

Appreciate advice from the pros. If you want more specifics, just ask!

Oh...Please and Thank You

Administrator
    Welcome.

Everything looks good. Flow will even out by itself once growth starts; you could even reduce flow a bit and it would be ok. The growth will also absorb a lot of the sound that is now currently reflecting inside the bucket like a speaker.

You could put the lid on, and could also put some soft foam on the inside of the lid to absorb more sound. This will help a lot.

Thanks for the advice. The ATS is only in the Brute for build purposes. It will ultimately be running in the sump. I'm building an acrylic box to control spray and hopefully it'll dampen the sound enough that I can get through the break-in phase. The pump is turned down as low as it will go.
    May need to sound proof the stand a little...

So...got the scrubber installed in the sump. Added an acrylic box for spray control. Helped on the noise but not enough. Just too loud. Can't handle the noise through the break in period.
    I originally built the scrubber to be lit from one side only. But thinking that if the screen were smaller, it would be a shorter waterfall and thus quieter. Also, smaller means fewer gph which should be quieter.
    What say you?

Administrator
    I think if noise is the main concern, just put some foam in the insides of the box.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information