+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Acrylic

Re: Acrylic

Hi how thick is the acrylic and what size pipe should i use if i am going to make a 30in L 8in H 6in w sheet
    and what size hole at the bottom of it

That depends entirely on how high the flow is, the higher it is, the wider the pipe. IIRC, something like a 1.5" wide pipe will cope with 3000l/hour as an overflow (so mixed with air).

Quote Originally Posted by worley
    That depends entirely on how high the flow is, the higher it is, the wider the pipe. IIRC, something like a 1.5" wide pipe will cope with 3000l/hour as an overflow (so mixed with air).
    the pump i am going to use will be 5800l/h
    and what about the pipe for the screen what size

Quote Originally Posted by ShanGo
    the pump i am going to use will be 5800l/h
    and what about the pipe for the screen what size
    You may want 2" pipe to cope with the overflow out for that, as for the feed pipe going on, 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" pipe will be fine, as long as you can connect your pump up to it, whatever is easiest

When I called the Hastings store they wanted the old invoice number. Do you happen to have it still? I would REALLY like to set up the Santa Monica 120 on my tank. or another number I could have to purchase the same model? Thanks VERY MUCH.

Administrator

It's 36684.

Tell them to make the drain hole 2" though.

Thanks for your response Santa Monica! Unfortunately they don't have the plans. I will try to build one my self. How do you attach the screen to the pipe?How many holes and what size for the screen pipe? I have a 75 gallon with a 20 gallon refugium. Can i go with a 36 inch rather than a 24? Will that be Better. I also need pods for my mandarin, Can i place it on the top or will it leak to much light. Thanks again for all the help!!!!!!

The wider the screen the more flow of water you need.
    A 75 US gal tank needs roughly 75 square inches of screen. At 2ft / 24in that's only 3" high (24*3 = 72).
    Each inch of width requires 35 us gal/hour of actual flow over it (so higher than the rated flow, probably 50% more in fact)
    so 24in would need 24x35 +50% = 1260 gal per hour!

You'd be better off with something less wide, maybe 1ft wide and taller.
    lets make it slightly over-sized, a 1ft x 1ft screen would cope with an average loaded tank that is 144 us gal (if lit from both sides).
    1ft wide means 12x35 + 50% = 630 gal/hour pump roughly (whatever is closest - preferably the next size up).

Placing it above the tank or above the sump is the easiest way to do it as the pods can just overflow back into the tank. If designed as SM's scrubber, it shouldn't leak much light, if it does, you can probably cover the parts that do.

Thanks Worley. Im curious is it a bad thing to go bigger as far as the tank and inhabitants are concern? Other than water flow or cost? If so why? I noticed Santa Monica's tank is a 90 Gallon with the 120 inch screen. Will I just NEVER need the extra filtration? Can the bad levels of non-organics stay ALWAYS at 0 with a 75 inch screen. I would still like to know exactly how the screen attaches to the pipe. Also where placement and the size of the holes on the screen pipe? .... Side not I noticed more algae growth on the 6500K yet you said you bought new 3000K. Did they work better once its established. I also read you you perfer the 2700K the best, can you clear this up please. Thanks again you guys have REALLY helped.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information