+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HOG in Israel

HOG in Israel

Hi,

This is my first post here.
    I have a 220G mixed reef with high load (about 120 corals, more than 50 of them SPS, and 50 fishes).

For about a year I run the HOG 2.0 which works great.
    I also have the biopellets (All in one) along with my algae scrubber (HOG 2.0). I work without mechanical filters (perlon / micron bag) and my protein skimmer works only once a week (after I feed my corals) for 12 hours.

What is your suggestions?
    Do I need to stop the biopellets according your comparison?

I use calcium reactor and everything looks fine.

Administrator
    Welcome from Israel,

I think you have a HOG3. Glad to hear it is doing well. If the growth is bright green, then yes you can start reducing the pellets. If the growth is dark, then no.

And if you reduce the pellets too much, or too fast, the HOG growth may get too dark.

A HOG3 is fairly small for such a large system, so you don't want to overload it. You could consider a second scrubber however, so you can clean one while the other one is still growing. This would allow you to remove the pellets faster.

Hey man, I'm from Israel too... couldn't find any reference to algae scrubbers in the local forums so i ended up here as well...

Anyway, from what i know carbon dosing basically "super-charges" the anaerobic bacteria to over-populate and consume nutrients before they die from being exposed to oxygen (unlike growing the bacteria in DSB). That's the reason most people would use bio pellets in conjunction with skimmers, to skim off the dead bacteria before they return all the nutrients they sucked up to your water column... (much like removing the algae before it dies in the scrubber)

That's why i personally preferred going with algae scrubbers for nutrient export... of course all of this is based on online research and not experience, i'm really just starting out and wanted to say hello

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information