+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can I grow algae with only red light?

Can I grow algae with only red light?

Hey guys, i just made a DIY algae scrubber and for the lights i picked up 2 led flood lights, the thing is... the ones i picked up are red. i've seen everybody use 90% red and about 10% blue on algae scrubbers and for some reason i figured that getting the red lights will be better then normal white. but these lights are really like dark red, i'm not sure if they can grow algae...

Here's a video of my algae scrubber (the tank is on the other side of the wall, pump in the sump pumps water into the scrubber and it's gravity fed back into the sump through a hole in the wall...

Can anyone tell me if those are good enough? and if not, maybe i can add blue some other way and not replace both led lights... ?

Anyway, any input and feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

If it's 660nm wave lenght. How many watts are they? Try them and see.

they are 20W each, i don't know how many nm it didn't say on the box or light... :/

Administrator
    Welcome from Israel,

The lights are fine. However, it looks like water is hitting one side of the screen, and the light is on the other side. If so, growth is going to be slow and little, because the growth won't get water and light at the same time.

But since it's built, might as well see what it can do.

Thanks a lot for the comment... I saw a scrubber from ebay that worked like that and liked how easy it is to remove the screens... It seems like there is decent flow in the lighted side of the screen... Anyways, the tank is currently still cycling (lights are still off at main display), so as soon as i start feeding i'll keep track of how it's doing...

Again thanks for the input

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information