+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: No thick growth

I mean redfield ratio. I`ve read this thread and do not plan to do anything except cleaning half of scrubber every 3.5 days (so each half grows 7 days). I`ve found this better than cleaning whole scrubber every 7 days.
    Just a bit worried how algae will adapt to such large No3 to PO4 ratio.
    Also Floyd wrote there:
    Shrimp has one of the lower phosphate to protein ratios, according to the Randy Holmes-Farley article from a few months ago. I'm not sure if this would mean that less P and more N would enter the system and throw everything in that direction. That would seem to go against this running philosophy about the redfield ratio of N:P in food and in absorption of nutrients by algae.
    So this is probably why this happened in my tank. Because Puff, eels and gsp`s eating shrimp every day.

Administrator
    Whenever you feed, you re-set the ratios in the water. So wait long term (6 months) before thinking that some type of ratio is a problem.

PO4 undetectable by Salifert. NO3 about 100.

Administrator
    And what is the tank and scrubber doing?

Scrubber growth is great, corals feels and looks better. The in-tank algae still covering the rocks and walls but it's shorter and more easily deattaches. I don't wans to scrub it from there because I like the lot of sponges between them. There is still some long algae spots growing in tank but most are shorter than before.

Administrator
    Sounds odd. Might try another nitrate kit.

It`s pretty hard. My PO4 test ended yesterday and NO3 test is almost ended too, just 1-3 more checks. So I need to order both new on eBay or somewhere else.

Nitrates totally refuse to go down. Still 100 or more ppm. I`ve tried to do the water change and nitrates are still 100+. In an instant all of my puffers suddenly stressed after the water change with ich outbreak. The same salt from the same bag, the same temp, the same salinity. One GSP died after one night of ich. One now laying on the bottom and heavily breathing, the eyes are completely clouded. The large porc barely eating. WTF?!

Second died too just now.

Administrator
    That is a bummer.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information