+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: No thick growth

Installed UV and diy skimmer. After 1 night remaining puffers feels far better, begging for food etc.
    NO3 still 100 (or more) PO4 undetectable.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2066.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	6983Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2064.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	6984

The large porcupine puffer and remaining gsp are now healthy again and begging for food as always. Moray eels don't give a f*ck about ich at all.

Administrator
    Good to hear. Yes eels have a very thick slime coat that protects them.

Some updates:
    FW scrubber developed cladophora under the slime.

Name:	IMGP5085.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	7022
    SW scrubber still growing great and no more significant changes in tank even with new skimmer and 40l water changes every 3.5 days.

Name:	IMGP5083.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	7023

I`ve bought JBL NO3 test, because there is nothing else to buy and it says 40. How accurate are JBL tests?

Administrator
    Accurate enough. Plenty of nitrate.

No changes at all. Scrubber growing, algae growing, no3 50-100, po4 0/unknown. I'm not doing water changes anymore, parameters are stuck.
    Bought 110 liters plastic canister, did 4 daily water changes. No result at all. New water is perfectly clear. Going to buy Jebao/JECOD 12000l/h pump add 3d printed mesh wheel and install to my skimmer instead of Eheim 1260.

So much time have passed since my last post. The problem was solved. No mystery here. The reason of massive algae growth was not food, not weak skimmer, not water changes, not salt, not light and not anything else.
    The thing which completely overpowered 200w algae scrubber, 12000l/h skimmer and water changes was just the glued in by aquarium manufacturer (Juwel) stock internal filter.
    I cleaned it every week but it wasnt enough at all. So I've cut it out and removed it from all my tanks. It was good filter by design but the difference before and after is clearly visible.
    No more algae in any of the display tanks and happy puffers.

Administrator
    Great to hear. Yes all mechanical filters should be removed. They only starve your corals of food particles, but they generate nutrients. Better to let the particles feed your corals and small fish, and use a scrubber to remove the nutrients.

All good what ends good. This was a good lesson for me and if someone else ask "I've done everything, what's wrong?", maybe someone will find this thread and ask him "do you have internal filter? If so, remove it. It can easily overpower everything, even the most powerful scrubber and algae continue to grow until you remove it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread Information