+ Reply to Thread

Thread: UAS inside shell hole size and amount of holes per side

UAS inside shell hole size and amount of holes per side

I plan to DIY an Upflow Algae Scrubber (UAS). My question is regarding the inside shell. What is the size (or sizes) of the hole (eg. 1/8” or 1/4”) and how many of these holes to make on the bottom, top, and sides? I would like mine to be as close to similar to the original HOG1x if possible.

I plan to order the inside and outside shell for the HOG1x as soon as I get an answer.

For those who want to know what I plan to do: I already DIY’d a 4-3W 660mn LEDs on a 3”x4” heatsink with 600mA driver. I plan to cut out a hole on the outer shell just under the size of the heatsink and have the LEDs flush with the shell facing inwards (obviously). On the inner shell, I plan to sandpaper the corners where the airline tube will be super glued to with the tubing cut lengthwise, with 1” cross-cuts along the bottom. As well, I have a plastic canvas mesh from Michaels that I roughed up good with a hole saw. The mesh canvas will be cut to the height of the main shell area and extended to curve the sides (without covering water outflow holes). The sized canvas mesh will be superglued to the main sandpapered area. I will use silicone covered neodymium magnets to keep the scrubber in place. I understand I have to cover the 4 LEDs with a cloth until growth starts. Hope this will work.(?)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20160531_224126.jpg‎
Views:	227
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	6836  

Administrator
    Welcome from Canada.

The holes are about 1/8" diameter. That heatsink looks pretty heavy though, so you might try the magnets first before gluing them.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    Welcome from Canada.

The holes are about 1/8" diameter. That heatsink looks pretty heavy though, so you might try the magnets first before gluing them.
    Thanks. How many holes on the bottom? Sides and top?

Thanks for the concern. I do currently have this on a current mock up using ceramic magnets and it holds up ok. See the new pics I just attached of my test scrubber. It is currently growing yellowish algae everywhere it seems but the mesh. This is my first week testing. My main shell housing the mesh canvas is roughly 6x4.5" with each shell being just under 2". So the 4 LEDs is roughly 3.5" from the mesh canvas. With the test, I'm using an air stone with the mesh canvas zip tied to it. If it were growing better, greener algae, I would make everything more permanent, extend the mesh canvas, and splice the air tube in replacement of the air stone. In the pic, I've also added a cloth as I just read yellow algae may mean my light is too strong. I'm thinking I need to play with the placement of my holes, which is why I'm interested in size and amount of holes per side. Thoughts? I'm sure you may be tired of giving advice, so thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20161109_180737.jpg‎
Views:	223
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	6838   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161109_180841.jpg‎
Views:	216
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	6839   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161109_180630.jpg‎
Views:	214
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	6837   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161109_180857.jpg‎
Views:	217
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	6840   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161109_192936.jpg‎
Views:	201
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	6841  

Administrator
    8 holes on the bottom along the airstone, and 3 on each side, and one at the top for air to get out.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information