+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scrubber change to LED light

Scrubber change to LED light

Dear Santa Monica,
    I hope you remember me, several years ago you mailed me to Mexico a roughed screen.
    A couple of years ago I made the change from roughed canvas screen to algae grabber (I epoxied coral gravel to the canvas sheets).
    Now I have been trying to make the change to LED light for my scrubber. It is a 2000 gal marine tank.
    I have a vertical flow system with two screens of 35" X 35" each, lighted on both sides, making a total of four lighted 35" X 35" sides.
    I feed a lot since I have many fish, probably between 60 to 80 grams of pellets plus around 500 square cm of nori per day.
    I have been looking around and already tried red LED strips, the model is JLT-5050 AP65 Red Liight 14.4w/meter and I have placed 10 meters on each side screen, making a total of 40 meters. (14.4 watts per meter=144 watts per side = 576 watts total) but I havenīt had almost any algae growth in 8 weeks on the scrubber, Only inside the display :-(

Do you think that this strips that I found today searching on the internet will work?:

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1pcs-...ig=true#extend

Or which strip LED lights do you recommend me to install?

Kind regards,
    Noe

Administrator
    Welcome back from Mexico.

Yes those LED string fail to grow, almost every time. They just do not put out the wattage of light that they say they do. Also they are hard to install, and break easily with water contact.

Much better are the big water resistant grow lights from China. You want at least 0.25 watts per square inch, and up to twice that.

Since you have solid textures now (no light gets through), each side is 35 x 35 = 1225 square inches, so try to get at least 150 watts on each screen, which will be four lights, each 150 watts of LED power. Something like this on each screen:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131214106119

You will need to place them farther back, away from the screen, about 20 inches.

Ok, I will make the modifications to use this type of light.
    Iīm not in ebay currently, but found this in Amazon, is it the same lamp that you recommend?

https://www.amazon.com/MarsHydro-MAR...ydroponics+IR&

Kind regards

Administrator
    Yes that looks to be the same one.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information