+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LED question.

LED question.

Hi.

I have a newly set up AIO 28g SW tank with just two clowns and two hermite crabs. Low bioload but still high nitrate ( maybe because of the famous beginner over feeding) well how knows. I feed a few NLS pellets daily or a small piece from a frozen cube.

Anyhow. Nitrate is always around 40ppm both before and after a 25% water change which is making me a little confused how it can stay the same even after a water change. So to try and prevent possible future problems I now plan to build an upflow scrubber.

What you guys think about this LED kit? and are the 4 LED enought to cover a 5.5x4" canvas screen?
    I will change to 660nm instead.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aquarium-D...MAAOSw~OVWzDtl

Regards.

I think it would probably work for a 20 square inch screen. I think that heat sink is overkill for 4 -3watt leds. It's also really expensive, for US pricing anyway. I bought 50 3 watt leds on ebay shipped to my house for ~$15. I'm using an old 5v cell phone charger to run 3 leds on a small scrubber in my quarantine tank that grows algae just fine for a total cost of around ~$2.

Before you build a scrubber, I would go test your water source. If you have no change in nitrate before and after a water change, your water source may have high nitrate.

Administrator
    Welcome from Sweden.

Those LED will work, yes.

isenhart
    This is the ceapest kit i could find unfortunately. I also tried to find a store here in sweden and found absolutely nothing.
    I agree that the heatsink seems a little to big though. I would have preferred maybe 1/2" stick instead.

Yes, i've tested my RO/DI (new salt mix) and It came out 0ppm using Sailfert test.

Thanks for the help guys!

Administrator
    You could just use an aluminum plate, possibly a leftover from a hardware store.

Hmm, l do have 3 old computers i can take a look inside for heatsink. Otherwize your suggestion sounds great.

There is only one probleme for the moment. Since my ebay account got hacked a few years back not even my new account is working, and support are not able to solve the probleme.
    So instead i contacted the shop through their website which was last week and no reply yet.

They also have big cheaper kits which is Way more than l need though. So I hope they answear eventually if such small package is possible. I only need 4 LED, neccessary parts and non dimmable driver. It's free shipping as well.

http://reefled.co.uk/full-diy-led-kits?product_id=60

Administrator
    You should be able to register on any ebay, but you can just email them from their site. Also, all the parts are on ebay and amazon by individually.

I have a new account but stayed inactive for a year, and according to support that was the probleme.
    But to make a long story short. After 7-8days of intense mailing from both sides they finally gave up. I can loggin, but when l try to put my orders l get error message and need to loggin again.

That's another problem, most good sellers on amazon can't shipp to sweden.

So far that uk shop is my best option, but also the worst costume service.

They have replied now and l think l will go with solderless to make it easier. He have a dimmable 8 3w LED set for 29$, so 4 LED will be cheaper of course, and even more if l can change to a non dimmable driver. But if that's not possible, would it then be totally uneccessary with dimmable?

Administrator
    Dimming is not needed at all. Only the first few days or weeks needs dimming, so you just use a black cloth or piece of plastic.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information