+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Most efficient way to add a new screen in place of one in use?

Most efficient way to add a new screen in place of one in use?

This may be a silly question, and I'm still relatively new to waterfall algae scrubbers, but this is based on a simple box design lit from both sides. Currently, the scrubber is performing well, but I have a couple of issues with it:

1. I didn't rough it up nearly enough the first time, which I believe has an impact on my re-growth time once I clean the screen every 10 days
    2. In the process of initially roughing up the screen, I tore a couple of small holes in the mesh that have been giving me more of an issue every time I clean it now.

I re-did a new screen perfectly with a VERY cactus-like texture that I believe will perform infinitely better, but I have no idea how to add it without replacing the matured screen and having a couple weeks without scrubber filtration as a result. I've got some high end SPS, so I can't afford a spike in phosphates.

An important side-note. I have a brand new scrubber setup that should be together within a week that will completely replace the old setup. Bought it from https://www.expressions-ltd.com/coll...lgae-scrubbers with the 4 led grow light bars (which is why I wanted to attempt to rough up a better screen this time). I may be able to run both scrubbers at once, the old DIY setup with the old screen, and the new setup with the new screen if I can find a suitable pump lying around.

I'm probably over analyzing this, but I'm sure I'm not the first person to have this dilemma. Any advice from some more seasoned algae scrubber gurus would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

John

Administrator
    Welcome.

All you need to do is layer the old screen over the new; the growth will catch on, then you swap out the new for the old.

Do half the screen at a time if you can.

Thanks for the quick reply! I considered doing that but for some reason second-guessed myself. I'll give that a shot. Good advice to split the screen up as well.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information