+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New Design "Victory Scrubber Scrump"

Re: New Design "Victory Scrubber Scrump"

Nature is still in the stone-age. We can drive to Home Depot!

John T

Wow long time coming, have some quick picks to post of a maturing screen and
    harvested hair algae from my screens before I fed it to my fish... My Emperator and Blue Tang
    really like the greens from the scrubber!

This is a pic of a large fist sized "Star" of Hair Algae that ripped off the screen earlier today. I get about 1 of these every few days... They swirl in my return section's baffles till I spot them, then I feed to the fish.

GreenStar

I am prototyping different screens in my SCrump right now, This is a Shot of the RIGHT side of my Victory Scrump, This Screen is 24"x12"
    Standard SM roughed up plastic mesh with Acrylic backer and frame. The other side I tested during this same time, simple plain acrylic heavily scratched to see if the hair would attach.. NO go, so doing something else very interesting ontop of that same sheet, which I will report on shortly.

Closer shot you can see the screen Hair growth which is pretty good I think? Also you can see better where the Star ripped off the wall, and you can see the mesh clearly in a freshly scarred spot on the screen to the RT about 1/4 way down

Administrator

Algae falling off is an indicator of a too-smooth screen. In addition to making it cactus-rough, adding a second sheet of canvas helps. Also cleaning a bit more often helps. And if you still get pieces falling off, you can reduce flow a bit.

It's important to remember that the big pieces are just the ones you see; you don't see the individual hairs that let go.

Hi SM!

I have double screen/canvass on that side sandwitched, and both sheets roughed to shreds.

Actually I dont mind the chunks coming off, its a "Circle of Life" kind of thing, heheh

Besides, the stuff grows back so quickly its amazing. Yea the area where it ripped does have good flow, but...
    harvesting the tear offs, I figure is just recycling it for my fish, so I will let'er continue to rip.

Besides it's free Greens for my Veggie eaters! Both tang and emp. have HLLE Im watching to see if the algae
    has any beneficial effects on that problem, ive tried just about EVERYTHING else. I dont think you can get much
    better than fresh algae fed to them every few days?

Do need to add more light to the trough, at least one more CFL, and get my other screen side going as well.

I am hoping my new protype screen MOD idea will work on the other side... stay tuned

Victory Scrubber Scrump Starter Screens

Update:

For any of you interested in getting Starter ATS screens from me....I sent a 20" x 10"starter screen ( basically one half of my Victory Scrubber Scrump) and several loose " Hair Stars" over the KCress to test and attach to his Horizontal scrubber. We want To see if we can seed his system with My Starter Screens and how they ship. Shipping was fine, the Algae did well according to Cress... So, so far It appears my new prototype mesh material is going to work, which allows me to ship screen easily. The HA seems to cling to it and flourish on it after only 2 weeks in my system. If Cress can get his to grow out, and the material holds up, then I will consider the experiment to be a success. He also has VERY high Nitrates which have been documented BEFORE he installed my starter Screens. It will be interesting to see what growth he gets, and how it effects the Nitrates.

Im pretty confident he will have success on BOTH counts with my Victory Scrump Starter Screens.

If anyone is interested You can follow the progression of the ATS starter screen I sent here:

http://www.algaescrubber.net/forums/...t=98&start=120

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information