+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sudden growth of bubble algae on ATS screen

Sudden growth of bubble algae on ATS screen

I’ve been running my first scrubber for 7 weeks now. Before the scrubber, my nitrates were at 2.5 and phosphates at 0.03…but this was with a large nitrate reactor and running 3 large phosban reactors filled with 6 cups of BRS HO GFO (my display is a 530 gallon tank).

Was starting to have a bit of stubborn hair algae that would keep growing back which is why I decided to add the scrubber.

Took the nitrate reactor offline a couple weeks ago and increased the ATS LEDs from 16 hours to 18 hours and increased the LED intensity slightly. I noticed an increase in algae growth on the screen since doing this.

I’ve attached pictures from today which is 12 days since the last cleaning. I just had a sudden growth of bubble algae clusters (the variety that looks line fine sausages) on the screen…it’s popped up within the last 3 days. I have virtually no bubble algae in the display tank except for the random single bubble here or there…I’ve never seen this ‘sausage’ variety in the DT however.

Should I clean this bubble algae off right away or is this nothing to be concerned about? My concern is I don’t want the bubble algae spores to get back to the display. Thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	screen.jpg‎
Views:	291
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	7073  

Administrator
    Welcome from Canada.

Not seen bubbles on screens before, either. Just scrape them all off, should be fine.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information