+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DIY drop in back upflow in IM 30L nuvo tank, could use pointers

DIY drop in back upflow in IM 30L nuvo tank, could use pointers

Ok I did a ton of reading here and everywhere else i could online and came up with this. This is 2 weeks of growth with diffuser against the 10w cob style led grow light.

I left it in way too long (8 weeks) because it was only producing light slimey algae. Figured it had to break in. Till I read a post otherwise. I had a diffuser over the light for the first 6 weeks then removed it and this is my 8 week results before cleaning
    2017-05-06_07-56-19 by Vegan M., on Flickr

I started getting cloudy water and odd clear short algae across everything. So I'm on my second cycle of kent phosphate sponge to get phos down to below 0.2. IT's right at 0.2 now. I also didn't have the lights on long enough. Again after more reading here I see I needed 18hrs on so that's what I did. Any help would be appreciated. This is what it looks like in the compartment. Oh and I god rid of the nylon rope, too hard to clean.

Light

OH and maybe I should mention. The rock was dead rock. Only piece of LR was a tonga branch I got for the gsp. So I don't know if algae is something I need to introduce to the tank or what. Please let me know. Also the air pump is a tetra whisper 60.

Administrator
    Welcome.

Looks like the light might be weak, and the screen too big. But brush all the slime off so hair can attach, and see how it is in 10 days.

Will do. I guess I just didn't think the screen size matters. All things being relative won't the amount of algae that needs to grow just grow regardless of size? The screen is 3.75" wide.

Administrator
    If it's too big then the grows stays thin across the whole thing. A smaller size causes thicker growth. But the slime needs to be removed anyway so the hair can attach.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information