+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hog3xx can't get going. Please help.

Hog3xx can't get going. Please help.

Hi,

I purchased a Hog3xx about 3 or 4 months ago at least and have had no luck getting it to grow algae. I have been battling a brown fuzzy like algae that looks mostly like diatoms, but I can't be sure. The tank is a 105 that I completely rebuilt about a year ago and have had this brownish, almost copper colored algae that covers the rock and surface of my aragonite gravel. I have two maxspect gyre xf250 pumps opposing at 40% random with lots of flow, and fortunately thriving SPS and various softies.

I have tried Algaefix in the past which knocked it down, but it keeps coming back. I can physically toothbrush the algae off the rocks and spend a few hours cleaning it up to only have it return in a couple days to almost an 1/8 " thick layer with small bubbles in it. I am quite certain it's not dino's as well. Tank parameters all check out fine, of course I know the answer which is that the algae in the tank is consuming the NO3 and PO4, etc.

I turned to a more natural way of battling the issue after reading Santa Monica Filt's info, but am having trouble overcoming the issue in the tank to date. Specifically I can't get the Hog3xx to produce anything besides a light green film and that is with the shade cloth on and only one set of LED's going. If I remove the shade cloth or move it half way up the green algae that started turns to clear slime. I have also tried leaving the shade cloth in place for a couple weeks cleaning every 7 days or so and get nothing but a very light layer of green. I am running the scrubber with the recommended size air pump and running the lights off of an apex for 18 hours, again only running one set of the led's as so far when I hit the green grabber surface without the shade cloth it appears to burn out the algae.

Any ideas or input would be great as I can't get this thing to take off. I feed 3 days a week with about 1.5 cubes and the other with a flake type food that my LFS buys.

thanks,

Chad

Administrator
    Welcome,

A pic would help greatly.

I just cleaned the clear "jelly" looking stuff out last night and have the hog going 18 hours with the shade cloth in place as this has been the only way to get anything to grow. I guess part of my surprise is how strong the LED's are. I will post a pic in seven days of progress to see what I can get growing.

Do you think I should give the tank any kind of lights out period to help more of the algae get going in the scrubber?

Administrator
    No don't change anything before pics. A pic of it now is still helpful

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170607_221758.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	7208

Here is a pic 2 days post a light cleaning. I still have the shade cloth on and only one set of LED's going 18 hours. I have the Fusion 700 pump going full blast and the HOG inner body fully submerged hoping for best water flow.

Administrator
    Ok it looks pretty good. Let it fill in again a few days, then plug in both lights.

The shade cloth is currently installed, shall I remove the shade cloth or leave it and when I turn on both sets of LED's?

Administrator
    After the white is coated with some growth, remove the shades.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170614_000625.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	7211

Updated photo, still with only one set of LED's on and the shade cloth still in place. I also am running a short (2 days now) lights out in the display to see if I can help get it going. The algae looks very shiny, almost like a very thin lime green jello color. Any changes at this point or wait some more?

thanks again.

Administrator
    Is the cloth on the top or bottom?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information