+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bigger scrubber to begin with?

so ive designed the screens to 4x6 inch as you mentioned 3x4 single sided is 1/2 a cube so mine is 1 cube per side now. so in total when all lights are on i can run upto 6 cubes. because i only have a small amount of fish at the moment i will only be running 1 side of a screen and then when i add more ill either turn on the second light to light up the back side of the screen or just use the second screen so i can leave one screen growing while cleaning the other ect. so eventually i will have 6 lights with 3 double sided screens. will this be ok? also do i need to have a bottom on the acrylic case up can i just have it open and let the water stream down into sump>

cheers again

Click image for larger version

Name:	my algae scrubber.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	7242

Administrator
    The 12 or 24w is for CFL.

Just make a two-screen model like your picture. Each one 2 cubes. Each one 4x6 with 10 or 15 LED watts on each side. These are very cheap small lights and will be a good start (although they are not really waterproof)...

http://www.satisled.com/110v240v-10w...use_p2464.html

Just saw your 3-screen. That's is ok too, and a bit better because when you clean one screen you'll have two more still growing.

The bottom should probably be covered, otherwise you will be cleaning growth out of your sump a lot, and the light will be to bright to look at.

thank you santamonica just one last question, are those flood lights real 10w? and would it be better if i get the 30w ones and connect them to a dimmer so i dont have to worry if my lights aint bright enough.

also that light you posted is us based and im in the uk so would this light be ok as it has 9 reds and 1 blue.

https://www.newfrog.com/p/ac-85v-265...BoCV8YQAvD_BwE

cheers

im a pain in the ass to keep asking all these questions but i really can not be bothered to keep buying new parts because i didnt do it right in the first place

Administrator
    Those lights are never the rated amount; it's probably 7 watts. Yes you can get bigger and dim, if it physically fits the screen.

cant seem to find red dimmable one's just warm and cool whites or rgb

Administrator
    They are hard to find, maybe alibaba.com has them

right if i just go and buy these lights they are 20w 4x red 660nm and 1x blue so they probably run around 15w right? they are not dimmable so would i run into any problems if i have these on each 4x6 screen? and how far from the screen would you recommend. im ready to order the parts as soon as i know im safe with the lights.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10W-20W-30...item3ac6eb63f2

Administrator
    That's about as big as you can put on a 4x6, and would need to be about 8cm away or more. The 10w could be put closer.

Maybe get one of each to try, then get more of the one that works best.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information