+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plankton Without Green Water?

Re: Plankton Without Green Water?

I call it green water but because I often type in the wrong word for it but it is phytoplankton or bugs that live on sun light.
    If you read about it around the web, you will fine that it is pretty close to the bottom of the food chain. Zooplankton like rotifers , the next step in the chain, eats the phytoplankton and corals eat the zooplankton. They are used a lot for breeding fish as well. Unfortunately, as I studied up on culturing green water, I found out that culture crashing was common unless you take great care not to let certain bacteria get out of hand.

You can see what worley is doing with it on this site at:

Board index ‹ Off-topic ‹ Other DIY Projects/DesignsCulturing < Phytoplankton
    or
    viewtopic.php?f=27&t=14

I have read that I should not cycle water from the main tank through the culture tank and back. I have been thinking about trying it because I can use the powders instead of the green water. Perhaps there are thing that I don't know about that would complicate this practice. If I take out a gallon of artemia water for example and put it in the main tank, then take a gallon of main tank water and put it back in the culture tank then I should be taking care of the potential for the powder, fouling the culture tank.

I understand that the higher pH of the main tank will encourage the growth of a bigger pod population. Although they will eat a lot of the artemia, I would hope that there would still be plenty left over and the pods would be good for the tank. If I am removing a large sample of the water, all of the inhabitance and the powders, I would be adding a great soop into the tank.

What else am I missing?

Administrator

Just the phosphate from the culture.

Can you fill me in some more on that? Where will the phosphates come from? Won't the Algae Scrubber take up the phosphates?

Administrator

The fertilizer from the phyto culture will have a lot of phosphate. That's a different filtering problem that a tank. You'd have to experiment so see if everthing is filtering out if you use a scrubber.

People are sucesfully rasing a tonsa copepods on o. marina. The o. marina can be fed algae paste and the A. Tonsa copepods will feed on the o. marina. No need for culturing phyto.
    I'm not sure exactly about the rotifers but I'm pretty sure rots will eat copepods and probably directrly o. marina as well. Ask the folks at marinebreeder. They will steer you the right direction for sure.

http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/view ... 283&t=7164

I've yet to do it but its pretty proven. I have a nice fellow that is going to ship me some of each so I can start myself and he's only charging me shipping.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information