+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How much time will it take for my scrubber to work?

Hybrid View

How much time will it take for my scrubber to work?

Hello Guys:

I am new to scrubber, first of all it is an honour to be here at the forum with you guys, it is of much help reading your articles and posts.
    I builded a new scrubber the last week and putted it to work, the water is passing through the net perfectly and the device seems to be doing great, it is working like this:

-16x20 cm, only one side, made inside an acrilyc box.
    -7 leds:
    2 Cree 660nm Photo Red, 1 Semiled 420nm Deep Blue, 2 Reds 630nm, 2 Full Spectrum leds.

The last four will be replaced by Cree 660nm and Semiled 420nm also, but right now I don't have the Crees and started with the red and full spectrum.
    My Aq is 180L net water, very low bioload (2 fishes and some small corals), have a very big skimmer (rated for 700L), Act. Carbon and PhosphateMinus to reduce PO4.

My NO3 went from 5ppm to an absolute 0 as soon as I turned on the skimmer, I am not testing PO4 right now, but a Hanna PO4 test is on it's way to my home.
    However, I have some very green nasty hair algae on the upper center of my display, on the reef rocks, and I want them out of there!
    The tank is aimed to be for SPS, with low nutrients, and the small frags I purchased a month ago turned super colored as soon as I introduced them to the tank.

Scrubber started working one week ago, how much time time do you think will it take until I can see algae on it, and the reduction of my hair algae on the display?

Thank you guys.

Steve.

Administrator
    Welcome,

How old are the rocks?

The whole system has 3 months, just finished the diatoms part, they are totally fading away.

I will put pictures as soon as I can.
    Rocks are all fiji and pukani and has been wiped out with bleach and then dried under the sun for 2 months. All rocks are the same on the system.
    3 month old since I started the system.

Administrator
    Because you bleached, the dead microbes are stuck inside the rock, and will slowly dissolve in the aquarium. So, algae will increase on the rocks for a few months, then will decrease.

Thank you SantaMonica, I will wait then, I did not know that.

Besides that, what is the estimated time for a scrubber like this to start showing some algaes?

Administrator
    A week or two for light brown growth, on a new tank.

Thank you.

Today I removed the net to see how was doing it, and I could see a very small trace of brown algae, so I think it is doing ok.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information