+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: My journey with the Rain2 Algae Scrubber and my 80G Tank

Rain2 Harvest today, was a pretty big one, 80grams squeezed weight

Who ordered the vegan meal? There is always a home grown, 100% organic, vegan friendly option at my house

Nice growth. I noticed in your video that you still use Rowaphos in your filter sock, doesn't that affect your growth?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Marksfish View Post
    Nice growth. I noticed in your video that you still use Rowaphos in your filter sock, doesn't that affect your growth?

Mark
    I have not heard of anyone saying rowaphos affects coral growth? High phosphate on the other hand can....

But don't use rowaphos anymore, too much work replacing it and cleaning a filter sock... I instead use this

https://youtu.be/x5fk6pQsMLA

It wasn't coral growth I was querying, but your algae growth. Surely you would get more of a yield if all the phosphate was available for the algae, or is it just that you would really need 2 of the scrubbers on your system to keep it low enough? I thought the idea of scrubbing was to avoid using "extras" to keep the water good?

Quote Originally Posted by Marksfish View Post
    It wasn't coral growth I was querying, but your algae growth. Surely you would get more of a yield if all the phosphate was available for the algae, or is it just that you would really need 2 of the scrubbers on your system to keep it low enough? I thought the idea of scrubbing was to avoid using "extras" to keep the water good?
    Oh right, I see what you mean

The only thing that will limit algae growth is nutrient availability dropping below detectable levels...

In my case I used the rowaphos to correct an imbalance between my nitrate and phosphate, at the time, my nitrates were very low 0-2ppm and my phosphates were comparatively high at up around 0.1ppm.

The rain2 is sufficient to keep my nitrates down, phosphates creep up a bit in my case without the help of the resin that I now run, or like I used to, a bit of rowaphos. I may not be typical however as I feed copious amounts of coral foods like reef roids, the aqua forest coral food range, coral essentials black label, reef chilli, and others... most of them at 1-2 times the recommended dosage and I use multiple products simultaneously...

I now keep my nitrates around 4-5ppm and my phosphate around 0.06ppm which is a better ratio and more balanced. I harvest the rain2 every ~10 days, and I regenerate my phosphate resin once every 4-6 months

That makes sense, thanks for the explanation.

Hey All!

Time for another update of my tank! This is to cover Feburary and March 2020.

I have tried not to make too many changes over this period, and everything continues to do great! SPS is growing super well! No significant losses and a few additions!

This last 2 months I have
    - Calcium reactor - The Pacific Sun AC-Nano. Is now set to 1000ml per hour flow rate, despite this, I still dose 1.5L of Kalk per day and ~30ml of 2part per day. So the transition continues, it will prbably need to get to about 1500ml per hour before its accounting for 100% of my dosing.
    - I used a fine scooper rack thing to sift and clean the sandbed in the back right corner of the tank, it was filthy and I pulled out heaps of snail shells and bits of gunk. I only did a small area as I dont want to disrupt too much at once.
    - Replacing the screen on my Rain2 ATS which set the tanks nutrient levels back a bit higher while the new screen matures, I am still battling this and the new screen is mostly growing very dark slime algae at still, I am cleaning it twice a week. I am temporarily carbon dosing the Reef Anabolics NRS product to try and bring the levels down a bit. But if that hasn't worked by the end of March I will need to do something a bit more aggressive.

My parameters have moved a bit with higher nutrients following the swap of the algae turf scrubber screen averaging:

Alkalinity 8.0dkh
    Calcium 405 ppm
    Nitrate 10.0 ppm/L
    Phosphate 0.1 ppm
    Magnesium 1330 ppm

Full Tank shot for March 2020

Administrator
    Very nice pics.

One trick with a new screen is to cut the old screen into strips and hang the strips on the new screen

Looking really good

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread Information