+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: My journey with the Rain2 Algae Scrubber and my 80G Tank

Administrator
    Very nice, AUS in the house.

I made a video on my YouTube Channel, Reef Nerd, about the RAIN2 and Growing Algae in a reef tank in general

Administrator
    Lookin' great

July 2019 Update

Everythings been doing great! SPS is growing super well, and I have added even more! Some eew fish as well, a pair of lyretail anthis (blue eye anthias), unfortunately the spotted mandarins I added did not get along with my existing pair, so I give them to my friend Billy who has a large established tank with no other Mandarins. They are doing fine in his tank

This month I have
    - setup the Kore7th and KH Lab! Too early to give impression or review, but expect to see a video on that soon on my YouTube channel
    - well and truely gone past what I can support with Kalk, I am currently dosing 3.5L of Kalk a day with 45ml of 2 part per day as well... calcium reactor cant come soon enough
    - added some cool new SPS, a toxic green hammer and another clam
    - started the Reef Anabolics Trace range, Coral Essentials Black Label range, and the Reef Anabolics and AquaForest Coral food range!

Unfortunately the Acans that were infested with boring clams have not done well and arent going to make it. So I will be adding some new acans soon to replace them.

My parameters have been pretty stable averaging:

Alkalinity 7.3 dkh - this has been a little unstable lately as I battled to meet consumption... with the new Kore7th I am dosing 45ml of 2 Part on top of the 3.5L of Kalk i do through the reactor.
    Calcium 435 ppm
    Nitrate 4.0 ppm/L - with all the extra coral foods my nitrates have increased a bit, but I am not concerned at this level.
    Phosphate 0.06 ppm
    Magnesium 1335 ppm

Anyway here are some pictures!

Administrator
    Great to hear. Lack of alk dosing is a great problem to have. Have not heard of the boring clam problem in years though.

August 2019 Update

Everything continues to do great! SPS is growing super well

This month I have

- flipped the Kore7th and KH Lab into auto control mode. Its now dosing my alk/cal/mag with Reef Anabolics trace automatically and adjusting the dose on the fly as it tests Alk.

- I lowered my Kalk dose to 3L a day, and allowed the Kore7th with 2part to pickup the slack, at time of writing its dosing ~115ml of each of the 3 components of my randys mixture per day.

Unfortunately my gold torch got brown jelly and died overnight

My parameters have been pretty stable averaging:

Alkalinity 7.4 dkh - this has been a little unstable lately as I battled to meet consumption... with the new Kore7th and KHLab in auto mode, testing 6 times a day and ajusting the dose to match, its been better and is honing in on real stability!

Calcium 435 ppm

Nitrate 4.0 ppm/L - with all the extra coral foods my nitrates have increased a bit, but I am not concerned at this level.

Phosphate 0.06 ppm

Magnesium 1335 ppm

Anyway here are some pictures! Top downs this month!

New blue digi frag, gunna be epic once it grows

These touched about a week after I took the photo and I have since fragged the green one back a bit

Whats left of my acan garden after the boring clam infestation :/

RIP Gold torch... why u get brown jelly!

Probably the best picture I have ever taken of my tank... its the new banner image of my YouTube channel :P

Administrator
    Very nice. The jelly was probably just the result of another weakness, and not the cause of the weakness, of that coral.

What a beautiful system with some amazing corals. A real kick in the teeth to all the naysayers who say you can't keep sps with scrubbers

Unfortunately I can't find a way to pm you. I was going to ask if I could use one of your FTS for a banner on the page I admin please, to show what can be achieved by scrubbing? Full credit and a link to your journey of course.

Thanks

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Marksfish View Post
    What a beautiful system with some amazing corals. A real kick in the teeth to all the naysayers who say you can't keep sps with scrubbers

Unfortunately I can't find a way to pm you. I was going to ask if I could use one of your FTS for a banner on the page I admin please, to show what can be achieved by scrubbing? Full credit and a link to your journey of course.

Thanks

Mark
    Yeah no worries, feel free to use my pictures,what page do you admin? I would love to join it. Just credit back to my youtube channel. https://www.youtube.com/c/reefnerd/

Thank you, will do I will use it at the next refresh, which will be around the 6th September.

Didn't really want to advertise the group on here, as it is Santa's forum. But it is Marine Fish UK (https://www.facebook.com/groups/MarineFishUK/) Not very well participated in, but around 700 members now. It was a forum at one time, but the owner dropped it unfortunately

I'll go and look at your Youtube now

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information