+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: My journey with the Rain2 Algae Scrubber and my 80G Tank

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    Very nice. It will be tanks like yours that save the Aussie reefs.
    Lets hope so, I will post another full tank shot in a few days, I have made a number of new coral additions lately and am expecting a bunch of Acans and another Goni to arrive shortly.

On a side note, my test kit now reads nitrates as undetectable. I removed my filter socks completely about 2-3 days ago. I am still running my skimmer (Nyos Quantum 120) and am gradually setting it to run more dry. I am unsure if I have a goal to remove it or not at this point. Its pretty low maintenance now especially running it fairly dry, fills the cup about 1/3 full after about 5 days or so. I guess ill see how the tank responds over the next few months, if everything is doing well i wont make changes for the sake of it.... If i feel corals are suffering from nutrients being too low I might test out running the skimmer less or removing it. Although I would be surprised if this happened as I target feed my corals reef roids and red sea reef nutrition A+B twice a week.

I think my tanks looking pretty good right now, so wanted to share

Administrator
    The frags gonna get big

Actually I hope the blue zoo's take over everything.

So it has been another week and I have now done my second major screen cleaning. This time pulled off close to 50grams of algae (water squeezed out).

Not sure why the algae near the middle of the screens is yellow/light in color?

Bonus picture of my Hammer garden which I think is progressing nicely

Administrator
    Wow I've not heard of a hammer garden before. Only zoa gardens. Nice.

The middle is yellow because of the very strong lights. Leave it, or if you want, dose iron or feed 2 to 3 times as much.

Wow I've not heard of a hammer garden before. Only zoa gardens. Nice.

The middle is yellow because of the very strong lights. Leave it, or if you want, dose iron or feed 2 to 3 times as much.
    I don't really want to feed more at this point as I believe the current feeding is sufficient for optimal fish and coral health

Regarding Iron; does this suggest there is an Iron deficiency that would have any type of impact on my coral over time? I do not wish to dose something purely to have green algae vs yellow algae.

I think I will just leave it and not worry?

Administrator
    Algae consume a lot of iron if growing fast. And it grows faster in front of the light. So increasing water flow, or adding iron, will get more iron to that part of the algae.

Or just reduce the number of light hours by 2 or so.

Iron is not too much of a concern for corals.

My third cleaning of the screen was done last night, roughly another 50 grams of algae removed.

I have found that for me it is easiest to wear rubber kitchen gloves and just use my fingers and the roughness of the gloves to scrape off the algae, works quickly and more easily than a credit card for me.

My tank is growing and evolving fast, heres some recent pics

Administrator
    Yes as long as the slot is not clogged, that is the fastest. What other filters do you have currently?
    Last edited by SantaMonica; 07-30-2018 at 09:24 AM.

Yes as long as the slot is not clogged, that is the fasted. What other filters do you have currently?
    Currently running a Nyos Quantum 120 Skimmer, pretty dry setting on it, after about a week its collection cup is roughly 1/3 full.

Also have a decent amount of marine pure blocks in one of the sections of my sump.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information