+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Finally back with a new scrubber

Administrator
    It if stops the water, then it will work. But water will still spread out a bit. Give it a try.

Been working hard to lower organics in the water as the scrubber obviously isn't powerful enough on its own at the moment. I have been using vodka dosing and Phosguard. The green slime has gone this week and is replaced with this clear slime.

Looks like something my dog brought up Not sure why it has now gone clear. I have reduced PO4 from 1+ to 0.5, still a little way to go, but hopefully (after almost a year) things are now looking up.

Administrator
    I think you mean reduce inorganics. Not organics. You want as much organics in the water as possible to feed the corals.

Why is one side dark? Looks like there is only light on the front side now.

You'll need to brush off all growth now that you are dosing, because the previous growth was dealing with more nutrients and now you have less. I still think you need half the screen size, because I've seen large screens like this stay at this stage. If you scrape it clean often then it will work, but it looks like you are letting it accumulate for a while which does not work well for slime.

It is still lit both sides, so have no idea why it is like it is. Both sides were clear, just some other stuff on one side. I'm cleaning every week. I know you want the screen smaller, but I don't understand why a screen this size on a smaller tank worked so well. I've been dosing for several months, so even dosing and a scrubber weren't doing the business. It has gone clear since the addition of the Phosguard, even though I have been supplementing iron as well. The only difference is that I still haven't changed out the feed pump which is only 1200lph whereas my other one was 3000lph.

I have found some pictures (below) of my old unit, where you can see a similar width, but longer screen on a smaller system.

Administrator
    Carbon dosing usually does cause growth to go light, or clear. I have just seen many screens growth more and thicker when they were not so big.

Finally got myself a new pump. All plumbed in and gushing away now. Let's see if that makes a difference.

So, this is the second harvest now that the bigger pump is on. I have had to make a slot cover out of tin foil which I have bent to shape as the slot seems to keep blocking and squirting out onto the clear acrylic. With the cover, the water is directed back onto the screen again. Possibly thinking as well that the bulbs may be shot as they are quite old and may need replacing. Still vodka dosing and using Phosguard to try and get conditions favourable for no slime. I may have to consider cutting the screen down, as much as I don't want to. Will see once it reaches the 1 year anniversary soon.

Administrator
    Well it's certainly still low on light compared to high nutrients, so anything you can do to increase/concentrate the light, or lower the nutrients, will help.

12 months down the road and it is time for a new approach. I am holding out swapping the spraybar to smaller for the time being. I have ordered some 12v 20w 2800k leds now. I would have liked to have gone down the red led route again, but the price is just crazy. 2x warm white lights are 1/4 the price of 1 660nm 20w light!!

Although I am still only getting slime, levels seem to be holding steady, but I really need to get phosphates down. Even carbon dosing and Phosguard won't keep it down. I am hoping 2020 is the turn around year.

New light day today, other light will be fitted net week. It is now a 12v, 20w warm white. I am thinking maybe the big cfl's were losing light output, so not a lot of cop really. This is my last attempt before re- sizing the screen. I shall see how it gets on over the next couple of months before making a decision as I will have to make a new spraybar.

The 10w 660nm red is still on the other side, hence the pink tinge.

Flow over the screen:

https://i.imgur.com/7pvFawp.mp4

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information