+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Finally back with a new scrubber

Not so impressed with the cfl's ability to bring on growth this time, although improvements seem to be being made. When I tried it out last time, I had some cracking growth. I think I am going to have to change my pump out for one with a larger bore. I currently have a Maxijet 1200 that only has a 12mm bore, which then opens up to a larger spraybar. This is obviously leading to a lack of pressure once the bore widens, thus potentially not equal coverage. I am also thinking the growth is better not in the direct line of the cfl. I have gone back to vodka dosing to try and get the phosphates down. This is a 2 week screen, only providing 5g per week more than a weekly clean.

Administrator
    I just needs stronger light right now, as heavy nutrients are coming out of the water.

It's a 45w cfl both sides. No room for anything bigger, and nothing to disperse the excessive heat that is being released into the sump cabinet already. Hopefully the 45's, although a bit longer, will still do the job.

Administrator
    Well you could cut the screen vertically in half, and tape of the rest of the slot. This will concentrate the growth in front of the light, and increase flow too.

I'm going to wait on the bigger pump first. It arrived today but bl**dy ebay sellers send crap from China without the correct plugs and adaptors, thinking that is ok. Needs to be sent back and i'll get one from a proper UK shop.

Not really sure I want to go down the road of cutting the screen cut in half. This screen is about the same width as my old one (10"x 6") for a 300L (ish) system which was fine for the sizing guidelines back then, unless they have changed substantially?

I have dark green growth this week, not black, so hopefully things are starting to happen now.

Administrator
    It's just a way of getting the light intensity higher across the screen, without getting a bigger reflector for the lamp. But it might just fill in by itself as nutrients come down.

Ah, I see.

Just out of curiosity, if I were to go down the route of a smaller screen, how much smaller would you say? Also when you say tape up the slot, what with? Would normal tape not leak toxins into the system?

Administrator
    Narrow enough to catch all the light. And any way to wrap up or seal the open slot is fine; does not have to be adhesive tape.

I wonder if I put blu tak in the slot as a temporary measure, if that will do the same? Obviously the growth on that part of the screen will die off, but once I have drained the system of nutrients I can then re-open the slot and allow the full screen to fill in, without using a new screen.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information