+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
Results 61 to 70 of 70

Thread: Finally back with a new scrubber

  1. #61

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    151
    With my set up, I have seen mention online of seeding a screen with Ulva intestinalis. Any thought on this over waiting for the turf?

  2. #62
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA, USA
    Posts
    9,939
    CFL will lose output after about 3 months, correct. And you can seed if you want to, but it might just disolve. It's really not needed.

  3. #63

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    151
    Okay, I have finally decided to make the screen smaller to see if that makes a difference, as everything else I have tried to promote growth has failed. My ATS is now 16 months old and still only slime . My current screen is 10" x 6", so I am thinking half the width and length, or maybe a bit bigger at 6"x 4". Would that be too much or about right?

  4. #64
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA, USA
    Posts
    9,939
    Just cut it in half vertically and tape up the unused slot. This will fit a single light well, and will have good flow.

  5. #65

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    151
    That's tomorrows job then, ta. I found my Milliput today, so now have something to block the slot up with.

  6. #66
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA, USA
    Posts
    9,939
    Or just plastic wrap

  7. #67

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    151
    Well that didn't go as planned

    I cut the screen in half today and gave it a quick clean. I tried to fill the slot with Milliput, but it was old stuff and was a bit too crumbly. I had now cut the screen so was committed to the change and found out a roll of sellotape. I bound the slot several times, not sure how long it will last as it isn't known for being waterproof! I then had to swap out the 3000lph pump that was feeding it and go back to the Maxijet 1200. A few more tweaks to make as I had to slot a smaller bore pipe into the bigger bore and cable tie it so it doesn't leak. The supply pipework is also a bit long and needs cutting down so I can position the screen, the feed pipe is currently pushing the spray bar off centre. It is running, but I think I will have to find something a bit more permanent in the future, once the DIY shops open up again.








  8. #68
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA, USA
    Posts
    9,939
    Should do the job for now.

  9. #69

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    151
    First week with the reduced screen = Reduced amount of slime algae produced When the screen was bigger, I removed around 40g per week. This week, only 19g. Still nowhere near the 100s of grammes I used to get on my old scrubber with cfl.

  10. #70
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA, USA
    Posts
    9,939
    That's because gha has not attached yet. Get all the slime off every few days.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts