+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Finally back with a new scrubber

Administrator
    About 200gph, good for up to 6" of slot.

The spraybar seemed to be blocked and spraying inside the unit, so it was removed for cleaning. You can see a build up around the slot and I am not sure that the slot is wide enough. It only seems wide enough to put the canvas in, with not much room for anything else, making clogging easier.

Produced a bit more growth this week with the new powerhead, 6g of oily today so it seems the screen is acting okay and hopefully will create more of it in the coming weeks.

Administrator
    If the screen can fit, there is probably enough room, because water goes through the holes. But 3mm width is good.

Much more of the same this week, although 9g removed from the screen this week, a 50% increase in last week. Still not convinced I have the flow right yet.

Administrator
    Flow is fine if growth is across the screen. Lighting is weak, causing dark slime which is letting go.

Always knew the lighting could be a bit too little for it, thinking of other solutions. I seem to remember though that on my old CFL scrubber, I had to put 2x 45w to give the growth a boost, then I could go back to the lower wattage bulbs.

No real progress with mine at the moment, still only getting 10- 12g per week, which is terrible. I have increased the photo period by 2 hours while I am still looking for replacement lights.

Ok, so I have finally found the time to add the new lights. These are 10w, 660nm 12 volt lights, for safety. A drip loop is in place and the power supply is located well away from any water and outside the cabinet. The power supply is also plugged into a 30ma RCD, standard for domestic use in the UK. It is not an ideal situation, but hopefully it will work for a while whilst I continue my research.

The rubbish led strips provided with the unit were almost falling off and not very efficient. Even with the increase in lighting time, only 19g was being produced on a fortnightly basis.

Because the slot was so small, it blocked easily causing water to squirt around the enclosed spray bar area. As you can see, almost as much algae growth on the window as there is on the screen!

I bought myself some waterproof connectors and connected my new lights up and tested them. Mounting the lights on the scrubber was not an option as the light would be too low. Some bargain window board was cut to the width of the scrubber, fitted in the slots and lights attached Just for safety's sake, I taped the board on the outside as well, "just in case". A tip I saw on another forum was to cut some filter tubing an cover the 12v connector fittings and (hopefully), prevent corrosion, although these are also outside of the cabinet now.

And there it is, running with the new lights. Hopefully it will be better than what was there previously and I will now get some good growth. I am thinking I may need 2 more, so there are 2 on each side and giving full screen cover.

Administrator
    Yea most growth is going to be in front of the light, so for that wide screen you will need at least 2 more lights (total of 4) and maybe 4 more (total of 6).

I think it will be a struggle to get 3 units per side, but 2 is doable. Just need to sort my flow out, seems to be okay at both ends, but miniscule in the middle. Sods law eh

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information