+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Finally back with a new scrubber

Finally back with a new scrubber

So, after 6 years and promising myself to get a scrubber again, I have finally done something about it. A few weeks ago, I salvaged a screen from an abandoned project, set it up in a very basic way under the skimmer outlet, then added a large 45w cfl over the top. It has been in there now for over a month, looks a bit Heath Robinson and it is:

It does grow some minor algae, here we have 20g harvested off the one side:

Anyhow, one side of the screen is seeded, now the new unit has arrived it is time to put it into action. I have seen one other review of this unit from a couple of years ago, the seller has added extra lights each side now. For about £120 GBP, I don't think it is too bad and much better than I could make.

When I get the chance to get in my system (hand bandaged after surgery), I will take some readings and see what occurs. I am under no illusions that the lighting may not be sufficient, but this seems to be quite well built, no light spill, but the seller seems to thing a flow of 400lph will be sufficient. Not convinced, I have 3000lph running over my last unit!

Mark

Administrator
    Welcome back. The overflow version will work, if enough light. And the waterfall probably does need more wattage as you said, but might as well use what you have now. Besides, can't get too much more wattage into that closed compartment because it will overheat.

At least it's not 240/120 line voltage.

I trialled 3x 3w 660nm leds on my old scrubber and the growth was pretty good. I'll see what happens with these, then maybe source a heatsink and add them at a later date. Hoping to have it running by the end of the weekend.

So, I managed to get the unit into my sump yesterday. It wasn't quite long enough to sit on the brace bars, so had to make a basic support for it. Headroom for easy maintenance could be an issue, but I expect it to improve once nutrients lower and I can remove the skimmer. It is also difficult to remove the light covers as they fit in a groove and slide in from the top, so difficult to assess the flow across the screen.

There is only one drain on this unit, no emergency overflow, but the hole is quite large and fitted with a tank connector. Once running, as I thought, it was quite noisy draining out of the unit with the water splashing. A quick trip to the LFS and a purchase of some 38mm flexi tube and it now drains under the surface, now silent running

My thoughts of using the original screen went out of the window as it is about 2" short of the slot. I have had to fit it as a temporary measure as the supplied new screen hadn't been roughed up. I am hoping that the green which grows this week on the old screen, I can harvest and rub into the new screen to help seed that a bit quicker. Nutrient levels have been allowed to get out of hand, so am looking forward to seeing how this goes. Once new screen is fitted and running, I shall take some parameters and post, then follow the experience.

Mark

Administrator
    You mean the screen length left 2" of open slot?

Yes. I stuck a little bit of tape over the slot as a temporary measure. I need to get my hole saw and rough up the new screen, but can't get my hands wet changing for another week as I have had hand surgery and can't get the dressings wet (plus it will sting like Billy O )

So, it has been going for 7 days and the screen is filling with an oily algae on both sides which is good, shows some of the excessive nutrients are being reduced. I am also dosing vodka at 5ml per day whilst bringing the levels down. I am still vodka dosing alongside in an attempt to get levels lower, before removing the skimmer. When first tested No3 was a shocking 50ppm, today it has come down to 25ppm, still excessive, but better. Po4 is showing as 0.5, both tests are Salifert. 10g of algae came off the screens today, so I have used it to seed the new screen.

Side 1

Side 2

New screen, seeded with older algae and filling the complete slot.

A little disappointed with today's maintenance. Although not quite a full week, it can be seen that the water is not flowing fully down the screen. I have taken the opportunity of upgrading the pump to the Maxijet 1200 in the hope that it floods a bit better. A grand total of 0g off the screens today, although a tiny amount was removed. Still 5ml of vodka per day, still skimming, No3 25ppm, No4 0.5.

Administrator
    Yes that is very, very little flow.

Found the box for the pump, 800lph. So the Maxijet won't give much more. It worked okay on my original home made scrubber all those years ago, so no reason why it shouldn't now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information