+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Semi-New ATS Not working properly. Please help.

Hybrid View

Semi-New ATS Not working properly. Please help.

Hello,

I own a Clearwater CW-300 algae scrubber. I got this for my FOWLR 300 gallon tank. I am running this with a protein skimmer as well.

I have it currently set to 24 hours a day. I originally had a smaller pump on this setup thinking that my flow was too little. I ended up replacing the pump on this with a higher output. I have had this setup now for over 2 months. I have the following issues. First, my nitrates are still consistently between 50-70ppm and my phosphates are .25-.35. Second, I get a "burn" circle in the middle of the unit with no algae growth. Third, most of the algae is very slimy and watery and not exactly turf algae.

So now it is running 24 hours a day and I am using a 912GPH (Sicce 4.0) pump instead of the original 612 GPH (sicce 3.0) pump. I reduced the Sicce 4.0 a little on it's flow so it is more like 700 GPH now. I am not seeing any results. My tank does have a very high bio load in that I have a lot of fish in the 300. The skimmer is a Reef Octopus Regal 250 BTW. I am also running roller mats instead of filter socks.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Also I wanted to mention that I have also already had it leak out the sides and cause a puddle on the side of my sump. The water shoots everywhere most of the time after algae builds up in the slits.

The burn mark is caused by leds? If so, they are too strong and you should look at moving it away from the screen or trying to diffuse it. Is it possible to put a driver inline to reduce the output? If the slot is blocking, it could be that you need to cover the slot to prevent algae growth in that area. I have a similar problem with mine, but I was vodka dosing and the excess bacterial growth blocks mine. I seem to recall a 18 on, 6 off period is recommend instead of 24 hours.

Mark

Mark, thank you. Yes I changed it to 16 hours based on some research. Going to see if that helps a bit. As for the LEDs being to strong this is a "Pre-Built" unit so I can not diffuse it to my knowledge. It is a Clearwater CW-300.

I'm not familiar with the scrubber, but have had a quick Google and can't find the answer I am looking for. My screen suffered burn marks, but I had a 10w chip which I had to move away from the screen about 4" each side. I can't see from the pictures on the website i'm looking at how many chips are on the lights, I would assume again it is only 1 and what wattage are they? Not sure how you are going to stop the screen burn if the chip is too strong.

I agree with you completely however I doubt this company would sell an entire kit that is "too strong" to support it's screen! Eitherway I still have the slimy issue, no reduced nutrients, etc.

Administrator
    Welcome.

A photo of the screen, in regular white light, would help.

The bald mark in the middle is not bad in and of itself, but the large width of the light of that model, compared to the narrow lights in our Rain units, means that your growth ring is going to be large. Here is more info:

http://algaescrubber.net/forums/show...3-Growth-Rings

I am not sure how to attach an image.

Administrator
    When you are replying, click the 3rd button from the right, on top of the text area.

That isn't working for me.

But here is a link to it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h9jnmb9f4c..._4039.jpg?dl=0

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information