+ Reply to Thread

Thread: scrubber location?

scrubber location?

I want to add a algae scrubber to my system and would like to know which of two ways I can
    install it would be better.

one feed it straight from overflow from display tank, drain into sump

two feed it from overflow from frag tank (which is fed from sump), drain into display tank

which one would be better and why?

Administrator

Re: scrubber location?

From a nutrient-removing point of view, it does not matter.

From a coral-feeding point of view, if you have a skimmer, you'll want the scrubber after the skimmer so that the pods can get to the corals.

Agree with SM. One thing that would be interesting would be to test for nitrates at each of your overflows and see if there is a difference. Not sure how fast the process happens but is it feasible that your display overflow if higher in nitrate (assuming this is where most of your bacterial colony will be in rocks etc) than the overflow from your frag tank (assuming it's relatively bare). (Note: wonder if anyone has ever measured the nitrate drop across a mature scrubber?)

I can't see many scenarios where between frag and display will be beneficial unless you want the pods from the scrubber in the DT without first going through the frag tank or, for some reason, your nitrates are high there and you want to reduce before discharge to display. On the whole, in addition to what SM said, I would say put it somewhere convenient and easy to maintain / adjust cos if it's difficult you're less likely to it and, therefore, lose the benefits.

OK thanks every one, think I'm ready to proceed now.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information