+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: why is my ats not killing the algae in the tank?

why is my ats not killing the algae in the tank?

as stated in start of thread

Administrator

Re: why is my ats not killing the algae in the tank?

Generally, because:

Not cleaning screen every 7 days
    Lights not strong enough
    Flow not strong enough
    Screen too smooth
    Screen not double layers

In your case, did you ever put reflectors on the outsides of the lights? If not, you only have 23W on those sides, per screen. And the middle screen only has 23W per screen.

screen is cleaned every seven days with out fail religiously on every Sunday ,there's two 28w bulbs giving 56w 1 1/2 inches away from screen , the flow is very good over recommended turn of 35 g per inch , screen was roughed up with a holesaw removed lots of plastic , screen is double layered , so that's why iam at a loss because every thing is right , and i have hydroponics diamond reflecting material behind all the sump tank .
    the lights go off for 8 hrs every night should i alter this ?

Administrator

Off for 6 hours.

Post pics of the algae in your tank.

will post pic and alter timer on lights cheers sm

heres a few pics

full tank shot

and the left hand pane of glass

I think this might be part of it. the green algae on the glass I'm assuming will slowly disappear as well. And if you clean it it should grow back much slower until eventually the screen wins completely.

Q: My scrubber has gotten rid of my green and brown nuisance algae in my display, but the dark purple cyano remains. Will it go away too?
    A: Cyano is the last of the things to go away, because it can make its own nitrogen and thus does not need ammonia/nitrate/nitrate to do it. So it may last a while, but if you keep nutrients low enough for long enough, it too will fade. However, it may be overpowered by coralline before this happens.

Administrator

Is it on your rocks too, or just the sand?

Is it cyano on the sand?

its also on the rocks and it looks to me like hair algae as it has longs strands, its even on a few of my snails

Administrator

After looking at your pics from the beginning to now, it appears your algae/cyano has gotten worse. Also, you have a xenia still alive, which it shouldn't be UNLESS you are feeding a lot. Also also, your nuisance algae is all over, not just on the rocks, and lastly, I've not seen any pictures of good scrubber growth yet.

This all tells me that you are having trouble kick-starting the scrubber due to high nutrients (I'll do a separate write-up about this later) compared to the small area of the screen. Once you get past the kick-start phase, you should have thick green growth... one inch thick on EACH side of the screen. That's when your scrubber is working at full power. Until a scrubber gets to the green stage, it's not operating at full power. (This is the danger of screens that are too small, compared to the amount of feeding.)

So to fix things, start by feeding HALF of what you feed now. Start looking for signs of green growth after a week or two. Post pics of the water flow off the bottom of the screen. In your case, you can't increase your lights or flow or screen size, so we are going to have to start with looking at the feeding. Once your screen is full of green, you can slowly go back to feeding more.

hi SM iam feeding two blocks of frozen Athena " brine shrimp " twice a day and the sun corals feed with mysis once a day , the tanks getting striped down in a few weeks time and the stand is going to be built higher , so i can change the sump tank and the lighting , this is the way i want to filter my tank so iam open to suggestion , and any help will be much appreciated , i will have 2ft of usable room under the tank so i might rethink it ,

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information