+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: why is my ats not killing the algae in the tank?

Re: why is my ats not killing the algae in the tank?

Why are 'too much nutrients' a problem with getting a screen going?

Administrator

I'm doing a write up on it now... Im just now understanding it myself.

Good, because that has to be my problem with my mondo nitrates. I never get anything vaugley reminisant of hair algae on my screens.

You should see what I have now... It's like a zoo. (and No hair)

Hi all:

When I look at the photos, I do not see any Green Hair Algae in the tank either. If the water chemistry if 'off' enough, it may not favor green hair algae and consequently may not grow on the screen. As SM has mentioned several times there is a succession of document alga that grow on a new screen.

Now the interesting thing is that the major algae in this tank is in low flow, low light areas (bottom of the tank) and not conspicuous on the upper rock, but the screen is a high flow, high light environment. It may take time for the screen to establish a high flow / light flora.

There may also be both high nutrients and unbalanced nutrients. All algae need nitrogen, potassium and phosphorous major nutrients to grow and a large number of trace elements. In a nutrient rich tank, the trace elements will not be limiting but one or more of the major nutrients may be. Each species of algae will have different optimum nutrient ratios which allows it to become dominant in any flow / light environment. As this algae grows, it tends to shift the tanks nutrient levels which eventually allows a different species to take over - hence succession.

Time may be the safest way to kick-start a new screen in a rich environment. Just know that whatever grows on the screen is removing something from the water and anything you clean off the screen is gone from the tank. Simple. The system will move towards low, balanced, dissolved nutrient state with higher organic nutrients (food). But if we knew what green hair algae needed, we might be able to - gasp - intentionally, dose with the low nutrients to shift the balance. [Not likely to be a popular idea John. Back out discreetly.]

Just some untested, theoretical thoughts.

John T
    (. . .He bravely turned away and fled. . .

thanks for that , i have also removed the old light units and replaced them with 4 30 watt equvalent to 150 watt 1900 lumen bulbs thats giving me a total off 600 watts and 5600 lumens will this be better or worse ,

Administrator

Are all the lights shining directly on the screens? Or are the outside ones shining away?

Related to this thread, my screen finally turned all green after I "artificailly" droped my phosphates to undetectable with GFO. It had substantial areas of what I can only describe as RHA (red hair algae). Over the past week it all changed to green.

I to have seen all sorts of things other than GHA on the screen. An evolving population as the nutrient levels fell.

heres a pic off new lights in sump .

hope these help .

Administrator

Wattage?

30 watts each equivalent to 150 watts there 1900 lumen's , and there's 4 as at the mo i just have one screen running

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information