+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gem5 light placement in diy box question

Gem5 light placement in diy box question

I’ll try to upload a video at some point in the near future. Location wise, where would be the best placement on lighting this box with 2 Gem5 lights?

Pics attached:
    - The first picture allows for screens on 3 walls.

- The 2nd picture would allow screens on 2 walls.

Or, is there a better option on where to mount the Gen5’s…. Say, catycorner?

Thanks - The Fish Tank Hobbyist
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	BA8370AB-08DE-4F8B-96C4-BA8FD4AC0E31.jpg‎
Views:	97
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	8350   Click image for larger version

Name:	6CFA8E2D-DCAC-4E5E-8AA6-571B2DC5A2BD.jpg‎
Views:	95
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	8351  

Also in addition, here are some more questions and the questions more organized:

Would you anticipate I might need diffusers at the beginning?

In the previous post, I attached 2 pictures to see what you think the best light placements and screen placements would be.

In the first image, it would allow for 3 sides being screened with 2 lights on the back wall.

In the other picture it would allow for only 2 sides to be screened…. Or, are both wrong and I should put 1 light on the back wall and another on the side wall/Catycorner to each other?

Also if the overflow has water coming down it already and circulating - would upflow bubbles be needed considering water would be coming down that intake(the diy box is basically an overflow box and behind it is an all in one with pump etc) so the water comes down this overflow already and then goes into the back where the pump is.

I can try a video explanation of what I’m trying to describe on the way the water travels through this box in the near future. I find it is so hard trying to write all this out for it to totally make sense and it may be easier to see the water flowing through it visually!

Ill try for a quick video in the next week or two. Until then, attached pics are in the previous post I did on this topic for light/screen placement thoughts.

Do the Gem5 lights come with diffusers if you think I would need them - kind of like the slip .7 does?

Thanks again!

Administrator
    Nice will check it out

Administrator
    The photo with the lights opposite each other is best. This will illuminate the whole box more evenly. You can have screen/textures on all walls including the light walls. Also you can attach nylon strings to the screen/textures which will reach out into the middle sections.

If you start with 1 light plugged in, you will not need a diffuser, although I can send them if needed. Also if the water level is more than 2 inches at the bottom, then you would benefit by having a bubbler attached and routing around the bottom of the walls, with 1 cut for each wall so bubbles go up the 4 walls. Or if you have strings in the middle, then just bubbling up the middle is good.

Where is the best place to get nylon strings? Could I pick up any from you with the light purchase?

Administrator
    Yes make a note and I can put some in there.

Hey SM,

Hope all is well.

I have an update for the diy Algae Box. I also emailed you and believe my wife may be ordering a Christmas present for me!!! Just in case, can you throw some diffusers in there for the Gem5 lights, some green grabber and nylon string for this box?

Here is an update. I’ll take any advice on how to make this a success:
    Video is about 5 minutes long and at the end I show how I made it serviceable for cleaning:
    https://youtu.be/nHbj87C5TF0

Thanks for all you do SM!

Administrator
    Ok saw it. Use screen to start with, because our rocky Green Grabber material is going to be too difficult to make. Get some 7-point white canvas such as

https://www.everythingplasticcanvas....355.aspx?k2=y2

and rough it up with a wood saw or hole saw...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHoleSaw.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	8363

or you can get ours...

https://www.santa-monica.cc/Green-Gr...reen_p_82.html

You can attach it to your plastic shell on all 4 sides with blobs of epoxy, or by zip ties through drilled holes, after tying 3" long string to it, maybe 20 strings per wall, total of 80 strings, or 6" long strings tied at the middle.

The GEM5 lights should be on the larger case, on the opposite walls, on top of the screen is fine. Using the suction cups to attach to the shell, or try to screw into the plastic shell itself.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F390B505-0608-4565-960D-E8373AE6AC93.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	8364Click image for larger version

Name:	4D886055-A410-4986-95AB-8FFFDAB53F40.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	8365Thanks. I’ll try suction cups.

When you say the GEM 5 lights should be on the opposite case do you mean the back and front wall?
    Or what I’m referring to the side walls?

I’ll attach 2 pictures to show you what I’m describing as front wall and back wall as well as sides….

Or should I put both of them spread out on the back wall?

Administrator
    Lights on the side walls

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information