+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Member, New Tank, New ATS, Old Reefer. ;)

Re: New Member, New Tank, New ATS, Old Reefer. ;)

Tanan
    Now worries, it really didn't effect my build just confused me for a moment. I really wish I had a pc the internet by phone is great but not when you are trying to read so much info, it gets a hard on the eyes after a while.

That mock screen is just something the cut out for the pic, my screen will be rectangle. The lights 5" away although I will need to cut the holes a little bigger.

Well I think I have it figured out now. I will keep posting progress till it's finished.

Oh should I consider using an 18w flood rather than the 23w?

Thanks
    Eric G

You mentioned using T5s is that Ho or just normal T5s, I cannot fit T5ho but I can fit normal T5s since they come in 12" bulbs.

Thanks
    Eric

Administrator

Just keep it simple... 23 W flood.

Sounds good!

Since I will be trying this as my only filtration just want to make it work as efficient as possible. I will add carbon, skimmer, ect as needed but I want to give this set up a legit chance before I add other equipment.

Eric

Almost done, here are a few pics.

Ok first pic shows the final plumbing cupling and valve in place. Second is the light fixture in place. The fixture is only pvc and completely adjustable, when I get the lights I will finish it and paint it all black, I will use dowl pins to keep the pipe in place rather than glue that way if I need to change it later I can just move it or add different lengths of pvc.

Thoughts?

is it possible to use an 15w or 18w bulb? It would fit better and save a lot of space vs the 23w, the size difference is quite a bit between the two bulbs. I would have over 1watt per gallon with a 15w or 18w bulb.

Thanks
    Eric

Here are a few more pics of both fixtures installed, the last two show a little of the versitlity. I just tossed those bulbs in for effect.

It's getting there!

Eric

Just making sure.. You are really using CFL lamps correct?

Yes I am I just tossed these in cause I didn't buy the bulbs today. Here are pictures of the test lights in action.

I am seriously considering 2x15w 3500k CFL floods that would give me 100w equivalent that would be 1.6wpg, I hate to be hard headed but it would slim the design so much and no one has said why I can't use the lower wattage bulbs seems the 23w will cook my algae.

Lol so what do you think?

Thanks
    Eric

You want to ditch a BUNCH of thickness use something like these!

Administrator

Watts are real watts, not equivalent. you need the 23w X 2.

Also, how married are you to this sump? I did not realize you would have to build a contraption in order to hold the lights. If you have plenty of room, it's fine, but another option would be to turn the whole screen 90 degrees so that it goes across the sump instead of inline with the sump. Then you'd use clamp-on light sockets like a lot of people use and angle the bulbs down towards the middle of the screen. Simple and cheap.

Of course, it might just be easier to keep what you have built.

Also, paint it white instead of black... will allow more light to bounce around inside. Mine actually uses mirrored acrylic.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information