+ Reply to Thread

Thread: particles

particles

hi there just wondering if all scrubber users have particles floating round there tank or do they use a filter sock or wool , or do you just live it alone ?

Re: particles

I guess it depends upon what kind of floaties you have, but I'd think they're a good thing. My goal with a turf screen is not just nutrient reduction but also to produce lots of live (and therefore more natural) food for the tank. Check out this comment from Eric Borneman:

http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic67...2.aspx#bm67732
    "...when the turfs are scraped all the time, the amphipods and polychaetes go with it, and more small fauna is something I want - along with their waste products and larvae as food. So, about once a month or so, I scrape off about a softball size clump of hair algae, shake as many amphipods as I can back in the tank, and start it over. And the part that makes so much sense here is this: One might say - "you want pod poop in the tank? Won't that raise the nutrients?" Yes, I do want pod poop in the tank because the filter feeders like sponges love it. I don't want high dissolved nutrients. And, the turfs take that right up. So, I get the fauna and the particulates and not the dissolved nutrients."

Administrator

Re: particles

If you see a lot of white specs, then they are baby copepods.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information