+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few questions

Unhappy A few questions

Hi everyone, first time poster, first time ATS

Im thinking about building a scrubber for my 45 gallon (180 liter) tank. I started the tank in august and haven't added any fish yet. Its because I'm trying to start my tank the Bornemann way, with 3 month cycle period and 3 month of reef building and then slowly add fish. Now my problem is, that although I have no bioload and that my test kit shows zero, I still have a small algae on the rocks. I am thinking that it might be the stones leaking something? Secondly I started my tank on tap water, which I regret but done is done

My question is now, will a scrubber work when I have no bioload in my tank? Im thinking a 20x25 cm (8x10 inch) screen using a Tunze silence 2400 with 2x26w 2700 kelvin lights on. Also a side question, do you think having a scrubber helps in having mandarin fish in such a small tank, with the scrubber producing pods?

Re: A few questions

Hi and welcome to the algae world .
    If you have liverock it could easily be some small dieoff that has leached phosphates/nitrates into the water that the algae has quickly absorbed so the readings are still zero.
    The algae scrubber will take a lot longer to get started without any bioload as it really has to wait for something to die in the tank (e.g. the algae on the rocks/glass) before it has anything to grow with, but when you start adding load to the tank it should kick in quickly.
    The size sounds about right, could maybe do with the next size up of lights (make sure you use some sort of reflectors).
    As for the pods, yes the scrubber will help, if you lightly rinse the screen in R/O fresh water inside the tank (lightly enough so the algae doesn't come off) the pods should slide off into the tank, and it'll encourage them to reproduce in the tank anyhow. Bear in mind Mandarin fish need a pretty well established tank with lots of liverock.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosenaa
    I'm trying to start my tank the Bornemann way, with 3 month cycle period and 3 month of reef building and then slowly add fish...
    I wouldn't worry about a little algae on the rocks - it's perfectly natural, especially if your tank is brand new. I'm not sure which article you read by Borneman but he explains that the algae will go through certain cycles, taking up nutrients as it grows. So don't worry about it - maybe get a few snails to deal with it (make sure you buy snails that will eat algae).

Maybe you've already read these articles, but following are some links that I found especially helpful when I set up a skimmerless tank following Eric's (and Ron Shimek's) methods:

Skimmerless tanks by Borneman
    Sandbeds and food production by Ron Shimek
    How sandbeds work by Ron Shimek
    Mything the point by Borneman (see #15)

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by worley
    The size sounds about right, could maybe do with the next size up of lights (make sure you use some sort of reflectors).
    I will of course use a reflector But when you say next size of light, do you mean watt or kelvin?

Next size up in Watts, the colour temperature in Kelvin is fine

Another question: Can I use spot light? I read that Halogen is of no use...

EDIT: Im a bit not so DIY so I have to ask: Will this work for me? http://www.nettobuild.dk/shop/nordlux-p ... 4907p.html

Yes, that will work well as long as you can get a compact fluorescent bulb to fit it.

And my main language is not english, so is the type you mention the same as energy saving bulbs?

Sorry, yes, that's the same thing.

Welcome to Algaescrubbers.net, Rosenaa!

Your English is just fine!

Rainer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information