+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Modern LED scrubber light

Re: Modern LED scrubber light

Well, it is 6.5" wide, at 300 GPH, so 46 GPH/inch.
    Pretty significant flow for single sided.
    Measured with buckets/stopwatch, not a guess on the pump specs.

But I have a spare 250 GPH pump, and can add that temporarily, to see what happens. Easy enough to test.

Note:
    That is not a thin bit of weak yellow. It is thick, with pale green lumpy stuff.
    N and P are undetectable.

Administrator

Then pull back the lights, or run them two hours less a day.

Finally, my REV2 LED setup is done.
    These pictures show the final test, and the box in place and running.

Side note: Lights are now on 7/5/7/5.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am attempting to show the color and brightness, but the camera really has trouble with it.
    The pictures show it roughly, but definitely do not do it justice.

The color is this really amazingly cool looking redish purple.
    The deep red + blue is a really interesting combination.
    Even if this fails to work, it has some interesting wow factor just on the color.

One of the previous pictures, of the LED system in place, captured the color well on a few points where it leaked out.

BTW: My garage is very brightly lit from some big overhead shop lights, so that little 25W system really puts out the light.
    Attached Images Attached Images

you got the aroura lights in your shed man

hi rygh
    iam hoping thats going to work for you it looks like it might do the job fingers crossed ,

I was pointed this way from another site. Perhaps I can help debug your scrubber?
    Without reading the entire 16 pages worth of post. Can you give me the colors(in Kelvin or nm) of your LEDs, the area over which they are spread, the number and lumens(if you have it), or model and watts if possible.

Judging by a few pictures I would say that you almost certainly have the wrong color going on. I know terrestrial plants use the red end of the spectrum, but did you know some marine corals have been shown to have their grown stopped by red? I don't know for sure how algae reacts but I do know for certain that skipping the red certainly will not hinder things. The whites should be about 6400k. 5500k isn't great, 7-10k might do but 6300-6500 is the sweet spot. Benefit AND problem with LED's is they are such narrow range that you do not have to be far off to miss the mark, but when your on you are ON.

CFLs are all over the place so you don't have to be all that close to get SOME useful light out of them.

My rebel cool whites(LXML-PWC1-0100) do pretty well especially considering that only one 18 watt

driver is powering them and I have so much more power on my other heatsink/setup.

And they have a typical 6500 k although that # varies quite a bit (don't know bin #)

I been eyeballing the new cree xp-g leds. I want to use some of my leds to begin lighting for plants.

The cree xp-g have, at least from cutter, known bin #'s and they just came out with neutral and warm white.

Around 250 lumen @ 700 mA for the R5 bin even if you lose efficiency by going with white instead of colored

that kind of output is hard to ignore.

(7) xp-g for $65.55(shipped) at Cutter doesn't sound so bad right now and I still have a 18 watt driver I am not using.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigaah
    I was pointed this way from another site. Perhaps I can help debug your scrubber?
    Without reading the entire 16 pages worth of post. Can you give me the colors(in Kelvin or nm) of your LEDs, the area over which they are spread, the number and lumens(if you have it), or model and watts if possible.

Judging by a few pictures I would say that you almost certainly have the wrong color going on. I know terrestrial plants use the red end of the spectrum, but did you know some marine corals have been shown to have their grown stopped by red? I don't know for sure how algae reacts but I do know for certain that skipping the red certainly will not hinder things. The whites should be about 6400k. 5500k isn't great, 7-10k might do but 6300-6500 is the sweet spot. Benefit AND problem with LED's is they are such narrow range that you do not have to be far off to miss the mark, but when your on you are ON.

CFLs are all over the place so you don't have to be all that close to get SOME useful light out of them.
    Well, I think you really need to at least skim through the thread first. There is a ton of detailed data on what algae appear to like as far
    as spectrum, and discussion on how best to meet that. It is quite different from coral.
    Details of the LEDs/power are in there also. Although I may summarize again if I have some time.
    The pictures really don't tell the story very much on color. Cameras have a terrible time with these odd colors.

Rev 2 LED details:
    8 x Deep Red LedEngin. LZ1-00R205
    - Running 700 mA (low power), 2.9Vf = 2W each
    - About 100 lumens, but not very accurate for deep red.
    - About 400mW radiant flux.
    - Peak wavelength around 660 nm.
    4 x Blue LedEngin. LZ1-00B205
    - Running 700 mA (low power), 3.4Vf = 2.4W each
    - About 50 lumens.
    - Peak wavelength around 450 nm.

So 25W total.
    About 1000 lumens total, but again, not a really accurate number to use with these colors.
    Kelvin rating color temperature is not relevant at all.
    This is currently spread over about 150 sq inches, although that may be increased to full 200 sq in.
    No lenses, but there is a micro-diamond light diffusion grid. Standard lighting grid from Lowes.
    It is running 7/5/7/5.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information