+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New project. LED - how many and where to buy ?

New project. LED - how many and where to buy ?

Hi,

I start build my own Scrubber using LED. I wonder what kind of LEN I have to use and how big ? (any web link to the right one ?). Or maybe using LED is not a best way and I should T5 or any other that you recomend.

I already bought a screens from Everything Plastic Canvas (Plastic Canvas 7 Mesh 12" x 18") http://www.everythingplasticcanvas.com/ ... -x-18.aspx

I have 180 galon freshwater tank with Arowana nad Stingrays. I need to reduce NO3... I will build Scrubber in to my Wet/Dry Filter - Mega Flow 4.

PS: I live in US.

PS: Thank Santa for everything - good work, I found this project on MFK !

Thank you for any help.

Mike

Administrator

Re: New project. LED - how many and where to buy ?

Mike... if you must have results, don't use LED's. Only use them if you want to experiment.

Other than that, if you would post up all the details and pics of your setup, we can help you design it. I'm not so sure putting it into a wet/dry will do what you need.

Hi,

Thank you for reply

I'm thinking about something like that. Sorry for quality, but it was just drawing... The red circle is what I'm planing to build using plexiglas and etc...

I attached couple diferent view for my project.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator

Yes that 's a standard design, will work well if size, flow, screen, and cleaning are done properly...

Huhhhhh on the MB site built this:

You will probably want to move the bulbs away from the pipe, or, install a light shield:

For high filtering , shoot for 180 total watts, and 180 square inches (like 12 X 15), and 40 gph of flow for each inch width of screen, on a two-layer roughed up plastic canvas screen (35 gph if just one layer).

Thank you

Do you know where can I buy T5 lamp with waterproof cover ?

Administrator

Bulbs.com

You'll need waterproof endcaps:

... that you can get from the same place a the ballast:

SM - sorry to be pedantic (and possibly wrong) but those endcaps look to be splash proof rather than waterproof. I know it's no difference in most of our applications but does make a difference if you are at risk of dropping the fitting into water at any point. The other scenario that could risk submersion is if people position the scrubber lights within sumps, above normal water line but below the 'emergency' line (level to which the water would rise in the even of return pump failure).

michalm - looking at you plans you could be in this position - for your safety if nothing else, please consider what happens to your water levels in the sump if the return pump fails (how high will the water drain to?) and then evaluate where your lights can go. There are waterproof end caps available here in the UK that will stand being dropped into the tank - not sure about any prolonged submersion though. These caps tend to have a threaded collar that compresses a rubber seal around the glass section of the tube.

Here's an example in the UK
    http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co....eal-p-787.html

Good luck and stay safe - our hobby brings electricity and water very closely together!

Chris

Hi,

I'm in the middle of the project

I'm planing to use 4 x T8 lamp (2 for each site) ~ 15"... or 4 x T5 - 12" (2 for each site). What kind do you recomended and where to buy. There are so many types and the prices are from 5 usd to 50 usd... its crazy ! and please let me know what kind of ballast is good to use for my project and where to buy it.

I want to use this endcaps (what do you think?)

http://www.customaquatic.com/estore/con ... C-ECSIN-T8 or http://www.aquacave.com/t5-waterproof-s ... 1223.html#

Administrator

Good find on the waterproof caps.

As for bulbs. Just try to get the total watts to add up to 180. I think T8 are too long/big. Use T5HO, 24 inch, and put 3 or 4 of them on each side of the screen, just like the pic above. Get 2700K or 3000K, or Gro-Lux.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica
    As for bulbs. Just try to get the total watts to add up to 180. I think T8 are too long/big. Use T5HO, 24 inch, and put 3 or 4 of them on each side of the screen, just like the pic above. Get 2700K or 3000K, or Gro-Lux.
    I found T8 that have 15"... I can't use T5 - 24"... I don't have enought space under the tank.

Thank you for helping

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information