+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help...

Re: Help...

Here's a few pics. of my sump. Notice the scrubber I put in just for a test. It sits in the end of my 20gal. long sump the screen is only 7 inches wide and 28 inches high. The light im using is one I previously mentioned and 4 inches away. This is just to see if algae starts growing.I know I need more surface area but as you see in the pics. There is a divider separating the pumps from the sump which in the sump area its all water proofed and saved my floor many times.The total area that the sumps in without the sump (20gal long) is 46 inches long,22 inches deep and 33 inches high. I can send more pictures if you like Thanks for your help....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator

Ok, well since you put a screen up already, play with it for a while to have a little fun. Did you rough up the screen?

That setup, even if working at it's best, will not do the filtering you want, however. So after you get a feel for it, start planning on a real one.

What is your goal with a scrubber?

Also, have you considered removing the crushed coral? It is responsible for a lot of the excess nitrate. Also, hopefully you are filtering before the bio balls, so they don't collect things on them.

Yes I rough it up with a hole saw. What do you think about the light im using its the Bright Effects daylight 90 W but it only uses 26W 6500k 1200 lumens do you think its enough? I do have a pre filter for the bio balls. No I have not considered removing the crushed coral because my understanding a (4")deep bed helps. I maybe wrong. My mane goal with a scrubber is to reduce nitrates even if not to zero I think any size scrubber will help. I defently would go full scale with this but do you think removing the bioballs is a bad thing? Then I would have room. Thanks

Administrator

The light you have now is not enough to do anything. You be having to clean weekly, but not getting any filtering.

CC does do nitrifying, true, but it collects waste in the cracks. The BB also nitrifys, but at least you can pre-filter it. I'd keep the BB (maybe add more) and the pre-filter, get rid of the CC, and start working on a real scrubber which would sit OVER the sump.

You want 2700k not 6500k..

I seen at lowes today a 26w 2700k but is said soft white dose that matter?

No. Soft White is 2700K.

Thanks I will give it a try.

Ok here it is after a week with the 2700k soft white bulb. It grow much faster. I went ahead and cleaned it in the sink with just my fingers. But one thing I did that nobody mentioned here after cleaning I rinsed it with my RO water That I use for make up. Is this necessary? Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator

RO not needed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information