+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help...

Help...

I've been reading allot about algae scrubbers and was wondering about the general rule of one square inch of mesh both sides per gallon of water. I have a 220 gallon saltwater tank with very limited space under it. The biggest size sump I could fit through the doors was a 20gal long in which I can run with only 4 inches of water so when we have a power outage the sump fills to the rim but dose not over flow. Over half of that is taking up with bio balls. what im getting at is I only have room in the sump for a screen 7 inches wide and 27 inches long and maybe only lighting on one side. living in the tank tank is just one fish but its a 43 inch Tessalata eel which I had for about 16 years now. I'm using Mardel 5 in 1 test strips and Nitrates read over 200 ppm my last water change was about 4 months ago and was only 60 gallons I have no efficient way to do more and larger water changes and looking for other alternative to lower nutrients. I did research on vodka dosing but seemed to risky.dose anybody think I will benefit with a scrubber this size with just a eel??

Administrator

Re: Help...

A scrubber can indeed replace your waterchanges, and bring your nitrate and glass-cleaning way down. And a wide-but-not-tall size is actually better for filtering, because you flow a lot of water through a 27 inch pipe (1000 gph or so). But as you've probably figured, your screen would only be 189 square inches, which would be good two-sided, but marginal if one-sided. So, you either need a high-power scrubber in a small space, or you need to use a regular scrubber external to the stand.

Main question: Can you run 400 watts of lighting?

What consists of a high-power scrubber? To get more room I can get rid of the bio balls which take up 3/4 of the sump but afraid of the tank crashing. I have a 4 inch crushed coral bed with only about 50# live rock. The light I have in mind where I can get locally is Bright Effects daylight 90 W but it only uses 26W 6500k 1200 lumens. Maybe two on each side. The pump I have is a Rio 3100 (750 gph). To run a remote scrubber away from the tank the wife would not go for as she is a neat freak unless I pipe it in the garage about 40 foot away.

Administrator

Rephrase: Can you afford to run 400watts of electricity? 200watts?

Also, how much vertical space is there between the top of the sump, and whatever is above it?

Yes 400 watts with been on for say 18 hours a day for 30 days should be around an extra 25$ a month. That I can afford. The space I have from the water line in the sump to the top is 30 inches and 11 inches wide.

Administrator

No... the space from the top of the sump, up.

21 inches from the top of sump.

Administrator

And how much room front-to-back, is there in the cabinet once you close the doors?

22 inches back to front.

Administrator

Pics of the sump please

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information