+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The alginator

The alginator

Ok, I first saw santa Monicas forum about 2 months ago and I was sold. I have been researching ,planning, and building ever since. Finally I Have finished and have my "Alginator" in the line. Hasta la vista algae.
    I went with the acrylic box design and tied it in line from my overflow (less pump noise, cheaper, and takes less space). The only thing I had a problem with my whole setup was drainage. The amount of water i neede to coat the entire screen was just filling up the box, so i had to add 2 more drains. Works like a champ so far.
    Ok so here are the pictures from before.
    Here is all the stubborn hair algae

I plumbed the alginator from both the overflow tubes (very good water coverage on the screen)

Some pictures of the unit and where I squeezed it in.

The screen after 3 days

I had to add drains because my flow was so strong (very easy)

Finally the drain system I came up with (trial and error)

I added a huge clump of polyester filter fiber (pillow stuffing) where the water finally enters the sump it took care of a lot of the micro bubbles

I will add more after it starts do its job. Hopefully they will be algae free pictures accept for the ones of the screen.

Re: The alginator

nice build m8 hope you start seeing results soon ,

Filter floss would normally be something you'd want to run screaming from(nitrate factory) but heck, with a TS it doesn't matter!

Nice job there!

What's the latest with all that hair algae? Got any new pictures to post?

Thanks guys. Yea shes starting to rid of the algae. Its not terminating it as fast as I hoped but i think after I build a nice algae base on the screen it should start speeding up. A tip for everyone out there --- If you think you have roughed the screen up enough, You're wrong. Get it as rough as you possibly can before you start runnig it. Otherwise your gonna wait 2 weeks and realize you need it rougher and have to wait even longer for it to seed itself. As for the pictures, By accident I got hammered this weekend and fell through ice into a canal. It was a bet, my buddy gets my tab for the next month if I could cross the canal. My iphone was in my pocket so its gonna be a few days before I can get any new pictures up. It was a very expensive fall.

Finally I’m back in business.
    I took the rocks out the a few days after my first post and cleaned them. My power went out and my screen dried up so i scraped the majority of it. A little algae grew after that in the main tank after that but disappeared in about a week. It definitely works a lot better then both skimmers I’ve used. I have some zoo's that looked like they were dead, after a week they started blooming again. I attribute this to the fine scrubbing of my alginator With just my skimmer running, my tank would look like it did before I cleaned it (algae everywhere).. Here are some of the new pictures taken today.

I had to build a new sump this one 12 in high. The old one was 18 inches high and made servicing the screen a pain in the butt.
    I also hung the alginator from the top with 1$ carabineer clips to get the drain pipes to run to the end of the sump.

Another shot of how I ran everything. None of the pvc glued except the elbows in direct contact with the alginator.

A lot cleaner than before eh?

The little bit of what’s left after the power outage

Cleaning the screen takes about 5 min now that im able to drop the unit and get my arms in there

that is from one side and it is heavyy
    Hope you enjoy

Administrator

A plate full from just one side... now that's scrubbin'.

HOw does this scrubber work by new**?

hey what size tank is that? By the way... i LOVE your aquascaping.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information