+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Pre-made SM100 scrubbers

Administrator

Re: Pre-made scrubber

Finally here are presentable pics and a video (right click and "view image" to see entire pic)...

Video of box:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G_FEncUGDY

Specs:

o 25 inches long (63.5 cm)

o 7.25 inches wide (18.4 cm)

o 6.5 inches tall (16.5 cm) with cover, or 6.25 inches tall (15.9 cm) without cover.

o Much stronger filtering compared to CFL-powered screens of same area and wattage.

o Very strong stand-alone filtering for a 50 gallon high-load reef tank.

o Good stand-alone filtering for a 100 gallon medium-load reef tank.

o Supplementary filtering for a 180 gallon medium-load reef tank.

o 100 square inches (645 square cm) of growable two-sided screen area, not counting the part that goes into the pipe.

o This is a high-performance scrubber, packed into a small space (which is what I wanted for the limited space under my tank). There is no wasted light; 100 percent of the light hits the screen, and is only 1.5 inches from the screen.

o The light is the same distance from the screen, from one end of the screen to the other.

o It works equally well in Fresh or Salt (but not for planted-only tanks).

o The all-black acrylic blocks out almost all light from escaping.

o The lid stops any evaporation or cooling. If you do want evaporation and cooling, just leave the lid off. If you wants LOTS of evaporation and cooling, put a fan on it. It will light up the whole room, however.

o The walls are higher than the slot, so you can leave the lid off without having to worry about sideways spraying from the slot.

o The recommended four bulbs (Current Nova Extreme model 1127) deliver about 100 watts (8000 lumens) of flourescent light. If less filtering (and less power consumption) is needed, bulbs can be removed to give you about 75, 50 or 25 watts of lighting. (You cannot reduce the flow, however)

o The unit is only 6.5 inches (16.5 cm) tall. Only a few more inches are needed above this to be able to lift out the pipe/screen.

o Has a water-tight drain which allows the unit to be placed on top of the tank, or even on a shelf, where it can drain back to the display.

o Requires 800 GPH (after head loss). Do not skimp on GPH, because the long pipe will not fill with enough water if you do. An Eheim 1260 pump works good if the scrubber is down in the sump area, but if you put the scrubber up high on a shelf above the tank, something bigger like an Eheim 1262 would be needed. I have and use both of these pumps. At the sump level, there is not much difference in flow between these two pumps, but when you have to pump up to a shelf above the display, the extra power of the 1262 (or similar) would be needed.

o The 22 inch (55.9 cm) wide screen allows much more water flow to be filtered for the same screen area; this gives more filtering per hour than a narrow screen of the same area.

o The long T5HO bulbs distribute the light evenly from one side of the screen to the other, and are only 1.5 inches (3.8 cm) from the screen. So there are no "burned" spots in the middle of the screen as there can be with CFL bulbs (because they put all the light into one spot).

o The box allows water to "pool" at the bottom when the algae gets thick. This creates algae that is floating in this turbulent pool, and lets the algae get more three dimensional, which lets water flow throughout the algae strands. This creates more filtering than just a flat sheet of algae.

o The top shelf keeps water from dripping on the lights when you take the screen out, and it also holds the lights in place.

o The bottom shelf keeps water from splashing up from the sump onto the lights, and also makes a wide base to keep the scrubber stable. The lights sit on this shelf.

o Replace the bulbs every 3 months. Most any K bulb below 6500 should work (including plant-grow bulbs), but F24T5HO/830 are suggested and are $7.99 from here:
    http://www.bulbs.com/eSpec.aspx?ID=14267

o Clean your pump (run in pure vinager for a hour) every 3 months to make sure the flow stays high. If there is no longer a swirling "pool" on the bottom of the scrubber, then your pump needs cleaning.

o Acrylic box alone: Asking $289 plus shipping (plus tax if in California).

Warranty: The scrubber box comes with a one year warranty; this covers leaks/cracks in the acrylic. Warranty is for replacement or repair only; not a refund. Costs for packing and shipping to me are not covered. However I will pay for packing and shipping back to you. The serial number on the acrylic box must be the same as the one you purchased from me. The warranty continues to apply if you sell the scrubber box, but the item returned to me from the new owner must still have the serial number.

Are you also going to sell it as a complete set up? Thanks Erik

Administrator

Yes but I have to build it first. The first time always takes the longest because you have to figure each thing out for the first time. I know it will include the black pvc pipe with slot, end cap, union, screen, drain bulkhead, top shelf cut out for power cords, bottom shelf fitted with light-holders, but I don't know if I should include black tubing for the feed and drain, since black is only needed for external use where the light has to be kept from leaking out.

Looks to nice to use for a fish poop filter! :lol:

Nice SM.

Round off some corners and add a touch of silver mirror and it could be the i-scrubber. Nice

Administrator

I'll have to licence the Apple logo first

Funny, since I work at Apple.
    Great design. A serious consideration for me if (when) I give up on tinkering, and want something that actually works.
    But I have to post my cost calculations.
    Scrubber : $290 : 0W
    Pump : Ehiem 1262 : $200 : 80W
    Lighting : 2 x Nova Ext : $400 : 96W
    Bulbs : 4 x $8 WWT5 = $32
    Lets say screen, plumbing, misc = $50
    Assume lights on 18 hrs/day. Assume $0.20/KWH.(CA)
    - 80*24*365+96*18*365 = 1,330 KWH/year = $266
    Assume new bulbs every 3 months.
    - $32 * 4 = $128
    Then all the shipping and taxes.

So up front costs ~= $1000
    Yearly costs ~= $400

Not for the timid. But certainly in the area of all the other expensive stuff, like calc reactors and such.
    So not meant as a complaint.

Importantly: It shows that the pre-made box, while not cheap, is FAR from being a big part of the expense.

Administrator

Well, the Eheim is $160, and the Nova's are only $60 each.

Also to consider, especially when comparing to skimmers (which most people will), is that even after you buy a skimmer you still need to buy and operate something to remove nitrate and phosphate, since skimmers don't do that. A scrubber really does replace a skimmer, macros, de-nitrator, gfo, waterchanges, etc.

Nevertheless, the finished acrylic version won't be near that much money.

Think it's $200 for the 4x24W novas?

Administrator

Wow the price just went up to $75 each. You need two of these:
    http://www.marineandreef.com/Nova_Extre ... u01127.htm

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information