+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516

Thread: Pre-made SM100 scrubbers

Re: Pre-made SM100 scrubbers

How about a grate on the bottom end of the 60mm pipe and fill the pipe with live rock rubble, the bubble should trap and rise on the way through?
    The pipe is 1.5 foot long. I guess I'll just have to try it.

Banned

Maybe. better to have an unimpeded flow I would think. I have had the bio-ball trap I made clog up and overflow several times, since it has light on it and lots of flow, guess what. It grows algae very well. it's also right below the drain so some of the hair algae flows right into it. Also if you get a detachment it will clog the bubble-trap pipe and water will overflow the pipe and possibly find a way over the rim of your tank. These are things to think about well in advance...

Administrator

Hot deal:

1 scrubber has the lid too tight; the lid needs to be ground down with a grinder so it will fit; $100 off

1 scrubber has the lid too tight; the lid needs to be ground down with a grinder so it will fit; also it has no lighting units; $200 off

Hello Santa Monica,

I am attempting to build a scrubber using the plans you provide on this site. I am a little confused though with the dimensions of the lower layer of the lid. I hope I can accurately describe this without pictures:

-If I understand right, the lower layer lid sets in the scrubber while the top layer rests on top.
    -You state that the inside dimension from side wall to side wall is 2.75"
    -The lower lid is 2.55" thick, leaving 0.20" extra space or play between the walls of the tank and the edges of the lower lid.
    -However, your diagram (on first page of this thread) doesn't seem to take into account the 1/8" clear acrylic window. If the clear acrylic is also 24' x 6" x 1/8" (lining the complete inside walls, then it adds an extra 0.125" to the thickness of each wall.
    -This reduces the space between the inside walls of the scrubber from 2.75" to 2.50".
    The inner lid is 2.55", which is larger than the 2.50" distance between the sides, which means the inner lid wont set down into the scrubber.

Am I missing something? If not, do you have updated plans? Additionally, what are you charging right now for the complete set up without the lights? I may just order a pre-built one.

Thanks for your help,
    -Tien23

Administrator

I think you are right... it's not perfect and each person does it their own way. There's no newer plans, however. Even the acrylic guy I use messed up a few, so I now have 2 of them where the lids don't fit and need grinding ($100 off). And one of them has no lights, so it's another $100 off.

Administrator

Still have:

One complete unit.

One unit with no lid ($100 off).

One unit with no lid and no lights ($200 off).

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information