+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to roughen a screen in 5 min. w/o much effort

How to roughen a screen in 5 min. w/o much effort

I had a hole saw that fits onto my rockwell sonicrafter. http://www.sonicrafter.com/ There are cheaper ones on the market.

"What is the Rockwell SoniCrafter?

The Rockwell SoniCrafter is a small, hand held multiple purpose tool. The SoniCrafter features Microsonic™ technology,

which creates a high frequency oscillation motion. The tool is adapted for a wide variety of applications by attaching

specially designed accessories on the end of the oscillating shaft. The SoniCrafter by Rockwell Tools is excellent for sawing, sanding,

scraping, cutting, rasping and removing grout."

I will post a picture once I can get access to a camera I am snowed in by storm of Feb. 6 2010

I had more than one type of hole saw and the other I tried doesn't fit and the other oscillating tools probably have different ends too

so shop around to find the right fit.

It makes the job much easier.

Hope this helps.

Re: How to roughen a screen in 5 min. w/o much effort

If you do it this way you might never do it by hand again. This took a few minutes
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great idea, I've seen those advertised, looks like it's done a great job, did it tear anywhere? I presume you had to hold it pretty lightly.
    Tom.

Thanks

I had it on the highest setting and it tore only once because I wanted to to test its limits.

Only have roughed up a few screens (complete amateur)

The process was fairly forgiving for at least one reason.

I was so easy.

So that thing just vibrates the hole saw? It doesn't rotate?

They use the word oscillate but you could describe the motion as vibrate. I use the tool more than

I thought I would for small precise jobs it does what other tools can't do. It is very controllable where other

tools,sawzall or grinder, could grab and move around on you the small movement lets you get into small areas

where there are other things around that you don't want to touch. This article compares them well.

http://www.protoolreviews.com/buying-gu ... comparison

To summarize the Fien is the best but it is also around $400

The rockwell has great durability without breaking the bank. Buy the bigger package the attachments are very

expensive if bought one at a time. The blades also wear out quickly limiting this tool to small jobs

The Chicago Electric Tools Multi-Function tool from Harbor Freight is only $40 but It feels like it.

It might be useful as a mostly screen roughening tool. I never seen where the attachments connect on the

Chicago Electric tool to know if you could attach a holesaw. This is something I did on my own. Disclaimer this is not how

the tool is supposed to work. So be careful although it is a safe tool. You can actually touch the moving blade.

I am sure this is not factory recommended.

Hope this help.

Thanks for the info.

That's good to know for any future projects. I know it took about 5 different occasions of screen roughing with a hole saw bit, not counting the initial setup, to get my screen where I wanted it. I figure each one of those was probably 20 or so minutes in duration. Waaaay more time than I want to take to do that, basically. If this can shave that down some, I'm happy.

That strategy worked GREAT!
    I put a hole saw on my Fein Multimaster, and was done in no time.
    Simple to install, simple to do.
    And very good quality as well. The control is much better, so you can get it rougher, without shredding the screen.
    Many thanks for that tip.
    I would not buy the tool just for this, since it is pretty expensive, but I already had one.

PS: The tool (with normal blade, not hole saw) can be used for detailed acrylic cutting as well, as long as you cool the blade.

Good to know others have had success with this method, I've been looking at getting one of these tools for a little while now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information