+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Built it a couple months ago, finally running

Built it a couple months ago, finally running

Started with some PVC. After I had it cut and done a member of my local suggested plastic gutter :? which probably would've worked better, but for now I'm going to try this. Here's the parts:

Cut everything in half

I wanted a quick return and couldnt find a bend that would work so I made my own.

Glued together and wet test. No leaks

Got it running today, but still not in its permanant place, and need more lighting. The light there is lighting a 10g tank in my sump with chaeto, but with enough spillover for a portion of the scrubber. Spillover from the display should help light the rest.

Administrator

Re: Built it a couple months ago, finally running

Nice start. Get some 48" bulbs, with a plastic protector, 2" from the water. Then triple the flow. And rough up the screen. Should work!

The more you can angle it, the better it will work.

Gee, with that narrow aspect ratio I doubt it will have much trouble with diking. Great idea!

This same thing could be done with white or brown plastic gutter down-spout which is square. That would provide a flat bottom to the channel.

Nice build making me think of some more ideas for a in hood set up. altho not sure I could get enough light to it. worth a crack.
    how could you do the u bend with square?

Good effort. The butt join that has been used to join the bend will be prone to failure. Solvent cement is good but it's not that good.
    The PVC gutters and down pipes have various connectors that can be used for a change in direction. It is rubbish as far as what it is built for.

Quote Originally Posted by whites
    Nice build making me think of some more ideas for a in hood set up. altho not sure I could get enough light to it. worth a crack.
    how could you do the u bend with square?

I was afraid you'd ask that..

They do have various fittings but most are not 90 or 45. You'd probably have to make something up.

Just make you current joint a lot stronger.
    Sand both sides a lot around the joint.
    Hopefully you have a small piece of leftover PVC that kindof matches the joint underneath.
    Sand that as well.
    Get some 10 minute epoxy, and use it very liberally on both sides of the pipe, all over the joint.
    Then stick on that leftover piece on, or even a small piece of wood, and clamp very gently (tape).
    Or if you have fiberglass, even better.

Nothing says you have to have the "u" open like that. Why not use two 90's but dont cut them in half . . . or even make teh joint, then cut it in half. Then you have a spare one for a buddy or a backup. Just thinkin out loud.
    75RR / 20g sump / DIY Scrubber / 3 x 150DE MH & single T5 actinic

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information