+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Moes scrubber

Administrator

Re: Moes scrubber

Correct, the skimmer won't make any difference, since skimmers don't remove anything anyway.

Your growth is still pretty dark for 3 days, so I would not go past 4 or 5 days.

yeah Ive been pretty consistent with the 3 day rule lately. Can anyone explain my nitrates? lol

Good job Moe....Your setup seems to be going good...Sorry, I can't help you on your test results but I am thinking about setting up a AS like yours.
    How much did it run you? Seems inexpensive enough.
    [color=#0000FF]DaveTheReefer[/color]

LOL it was actually pretty expensive because I made a lot of mistakes haha.

So I suggest, think, design, think some more, redesign, think, and then go buy. Just because of unforeseen stuff like - my cabinet couldn't fit a certain piece of pipe so i had to plumb around the stand n stuff - really frustrating. I'm going to redesign the scrubber again to have it underneath the cabinet.

I'm going to have a sump/refu that runs the whole length of the tank underneath the cabinet. Have the overflow from the main tank going into the ATS and T off the pump to put even more flow into the scrubber. Just because of my current plumbing there is too many head losses.

Ah yeah I lost a bit of money because I bought originally 2x 24w Ballasts so I could get T5 globes for some good scrubbing. But I had a really hard time getting 24w 3000K T5's and gave up.

Ok I live is Australia so I'll put up everything in AUS dollars.

Plumbing pipes - $3-5
    Other plumbing fittings - $30
    Algae screen - $3 ea
    Box - $15-20
    Bulkhead from box - $15 (!)
    CFL 24w Globes - $13 ea around
    Fittings for light globes - $3-4 ea
    Wires/plugs - $15
    Hose - $10
    Reflector (cut up) - $15

around $175 wow that adds up (for me).

I probably could have saved a lot more if I didn't have so many issues with plumbing. Basic pipes are very cheap. What I had to buy wasn't (bends/etc).
    Save money on light globes - they are cheaper on ebay and net stores - American shops have everything (damn you!) from what I can see.
    Save money on wires and plugs by cutting cords off anything old and crappy like an old TV or what not, you could rip up old lamps found from a "thrift" store (op shop as we call them) instead of buying new.
    Save money on pipes - when theres hard rubbish people are throwing 'em out left right 'n' centre. Or ebay.
    Maybe save some money on fittings by buying online as well.

Also, large scrubbers are a bit more difficult to organise IMO. When designing a small scrubber you really are spoiled for choice when it comes to containers, theres like hundreds of small-medium sized containers, buckets, tubs etc that you can use to customize the hell out of your scrubber. When I was choosing my large box I only had like 4 choices and chose this tool box tub because it was the cheapest (student budget strikes again). With larger stuff maybe get an old tank or some acrylic cut perhaps.

Oh and thanks for being the first person who isn't Santa Monica to contribute to this thread hahaha was wondering if anyone was still alive on this forum. Good luck with your scrubber and keep us posted.

-Moe

It is sad that this forum does move slow. I've gotten a few people here on a local forum interested in building ATSs' for their setups. You don't have 99 cent only stores there? 23 watt CFLs for 99 cents. Ganhal lumber for 25 cents. Edison supplements the costs. Parts are available on Craigslist regularly. As you mention Moe, scraps or garage sale leftovers.
    Crazy thing here(California) you can buy ten feet of ABS for under 2 bucks. That elbo or Tee? That's 2-3 bucks each.
    Tank looks good Moe. Currently running a Horizontal and like it. But verticle seems to be more productive so my minds eye stares at my sump rethinking design. I'm positive I've got it figured out.
    I wonder if it would be worth buying stuff here and shipping it to you guys. To Australia-USPS Supplied Large Box: 12" x 12" x 5 1/2".
    Maximum weight 20 pounds. This would cost 56 dollars and take 6-10 days.

Funny about the lighting problem:
    Some of us have been ordering LEDs from Australia, because nobody locally sells the most recent Crees.
    And I am smack dab in Silicon Valley.

I am really confused by the Nitrate question. How is 0 bad?

Looking at your early pics:
    Lights seem very high up, with no reflectors behind them.
    Remember that the angle the light hits matters. Even a thin film of water will reflect off a LOT of light if the angle is > 45 degrees.
    Also, those bulbs seem a bit unsafe. Be careful of moisture and salt creep on all the connections.

I seem to remember from other posts that lack of light could cause the dark brown crud. But no direct experience myself on that.

Hmm, $175 does not seem like much. A lot less than a decent protein skimmer.

Quote Originally Posted by rygh
    Even a thin film of water will reflect off a LOT of light if the angle is > 45 degrees.
    Oops, I guess I should have said -45 degrees, for you folks on the other side of the equator.

Administrator

It is "slow" here because once people fix their filtering, they have no more need to read. They rather read about fish and corals. Once I finish the 25, it will go through a much larger promotion, which will bring a lot of beginners here.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica
    It is "slow" here because once people fix their filtering, they have no more need to read.
    Agreed. I am still a newbie, and was losing interest with the site until I decided to go bigger.
    I think we are all really glad one person shows a lot of interest and spends a lot of time on this.

Another reason is that almost everyone has done just one or two revisions.
    Since that makes us all newbies, it is a bit hard to post expert advice.

Suggestion:
    Create a "Success Stories" section, at the top of the board.
    With a README first, encouraging people to post tank size, scrubber type, size, and maybe even before/after pics or data.
    The before/after pic section you have now just does not really do it.
    Then, send an apologetic spam to all members, encouraging them that if they have a success, to please post there to
    encourage others.

Administrator

Already have a results thread here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8

Before/after does not work, because nobody takes before shots, because they don't like the look.

I can't send email to members.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information