+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Extremely High pH

Re: Extremely High pH

Oh, and Rick had one of the most beautiful reef tanks I've seen so far. He moved to the Freshwater area, so he's not managing the reef tank anymore and it's not doing nearly as well. The corals aren't coming out as much, the substrate in all of the saltwater tanks has turned brown, and they can't keep the more delicate coral alive like he did. That's a great sign he actually knows what he's doing. He practices what he preaches.

Re: Extremely High pH

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthine

Possible Solution:
    I spoke in much more in detail with my guy at the LFS and he remembered I had purchased the Aragonite substrate. I didn’t realize it, but apparently the Aragonite breaks down and releases trace elements. As the tank was a fish only tank, the trace elements were not being consumed in adequate quantities. This resulted in excessively high concentrations of calcium and such, causing it to precipitate and fall to the bottom. With me adding the additional calcium, it made the situation much worse.

His recommended action is to do a 50% water change and replace the water with ocean water. This will help balance all of the elements from the start. He said to add a lawnmower blenny or equivalent to process the substrate and to add in corals that will consume these trace elements. Theoretically, based on the information he gave me, that will solve the problem. I’ll be heading down there right after work to pick up the blenny and a coral or two.

I’ve also restarted the scrubber, but at half-light. I’ll continue monitoring all of the levels and see where they go and how the tank recovers.

Thanks again for all of the help.
    Scott
    One question you did not answer was how high your alkalinity was, along with calcium. Low alkalinity will not resist rises in pH very well. Higher calcium levels will prevent the dissolution of carbonate/bicarbonate.

I'm afraid I'll have to seriously doubt the aragonite theory. Aragonite is merely a form of calcium carbonate, and even with its better solubility, it is effectively insoluble in seawater, especially at the pH values you have now. Even if that weren't the case, your pH would have to be in the lower 7s to start the kind of reaction that is suggested. Bacterial acidic products can eventually dissolve calcium carbonate sands, but that doesn't happen quickly at all. Beyond that, bacterial films will quickly render most grains effectively insoluble, even further lessening the likelihood. Only calcium and carbonate products from the sand could cause your problem, though, not trace elements. It is just that what is described is very unlikely. If your values for calcium and alkalinity are truly high, I would first point to your salt mix. What kind are you using and how often are you changing the water?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information