+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: would this work

would this work

trying something else , going to use light units and build in boxes a bit like sm's but i want to just run 1 big return pump is this possible or am i better of using 3 pumps , it might be tricky to get all the flows right , any thoughts
    ps are these light units available in the uk or are they usa only 4x24W novas?
    would these work if i replaced the bulbs for 3 30w 300k
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BOYU-T5-14W-x-3-A ... 2a02bec2af
    i could only find these bulbs
    http://www.energybulbs.co.uk/products/F ... 4198950947
    cheers oc

Administrator

Re: would this work

1. I wouldn't feed the screens with both a pump and the overflow. If the pump has power to pump up the right side, it will also pump up the left side, and your overflow will be going backwards. So separate the two, and feed the screens with either just the overflow, or just the return pump.

2. If you use the overflow, you don't need the single valve coming down from the weir; the two valves before the screens will serve the same purpose.

4. If you feed the screens with the return pump, It would be the way you have it now (but without the connection to the overflow.

4. The emergency overflow pipe (the taller one) should just go straight to the sump. It will probably get used when you are cleaning one screen, because the flow to one screen will be stopped, and you will get more return to the display (if using the pump), or you will be getting less overflow (if using the overflow). Either way, the display level will rise and go down the emergency overflow pipe. And since it will go straight to the sump, it will make a lot of noise to remind you that you have one screen turned off.

As for the lights, the Nova's are only for the U.S. (120 volt). To use them you would need the little 120-220 adapter. But since you will be building your own box, just size the box to fit the lights you want to use.

hi sm so i will run the twin stand pipes straight in to the sump and then run the screens off a return pump if i do it like this the pump wont need to be that big also , the two ats will be more than enough for a 150 gallon uk tank " yes " ?

Administrator

Yes it will be very strong. That's what I have now on mine, the new 100 and the old 100. You'll be able to liquid feed, and still not have any nutirents. Remember you'll need strong flow for both screens, 800 X 2 = 1600 gph = 6080 lph.

i was thinking of using 1 off these 3524 gallons per hour " thats a lot of water
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-LAGUNA-MAXFLO ... 56316f036e
    the 11000 does 2330 gallons per hour
    they also do a 9000 lph

should i go for the bigger one then i can run a very strong reef flush as well , plus thats were all the pods will be sent , should work a treat

Administrator

Maximum flow rate is 16000 LPH / 3524 GPH. Not big enough for even the screens, much less the screens + return. Also, I'm you'll need to ask if they are suitable for a reef... might contain copper or other things. More of a question for someone experienced in tank plumbing.

the pumps are reef safe as a few are using them on the ultimate reef site
    not sure what you mean
    your post
    Remember you'll need strong flow for both screens, 800 X 2 = 1600 gph = 6080 lph.
    my post i was thinking of using 1 off these 16,000 lph 3524 gallons per hour
    your post states i need 1600 gph and the pump pumps 3524gph that twice as much as stated or I'm i wrong 3

Administrator

You are right, I read the numbers wrong.

hi sm
    the feed pipe is 32mm should i convert it down to 25mm for the ats screen pipe ?

Administrator

You can, but you could also make the pipe bigger. The only thing controlling the flow is the slot thickness.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information