+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Santa Monica 25 Nano Scrubber

Administrator

Re: Now designing: The Santa Monica 25 Nano Scrubber

Not yet; just started a grow test about 10 minutes ago, will little flow. It is a tiny pump, at the lowest setting. But the idea is to see how much flow you can get up to.

Administrator

Beginning of growth test. The flow you see on the one screen is 50 gph:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3yRclWTwS8

very cool any idea on cost yet? really want to try one on my 10gallon while i save for the SM100

i would love to DIY but i can not find the supplies i need locally :?

Administrator

The acrylic sheets are basic 3/16 inch. Just cut them and glue (mine will use acrylic glue, but silicone is easier to DIY). I'll post a parts list, once I make sure all the pieces work together. The ballast I'm trying now is the Fulham Workhorse 2, which has short wires; the Long Horse 2 has long wires. Other than that, you just need the bulb (posted above) and a small tube for the pipe (available at model shops.)

On the current test, the bulb is very powerful for how much flow there is, and it's over-powering the algae in the middle of the screen (turning it yellow; the edges are nice and green though). So I'm seeing how much I can increase flow, and then I'm going to scatter the light by diffussion. The drain becomes an issue too with high flow, because it cannot back up no matter what.

The goal is to be able to sell it for $199 USD, including the pump, and offer an optional stand/bracket that will hold the scrubber up from the floor, over the nano, if needed. Otherwise the scrubber will just set on top of the tank, or on a shelf.

If you want to save cost, it seems like the 4 lengthwise vertical pieces (sides) could be 1/8 acrylic, or maybe eve 3/32.
    As long as the bottom is thicker, should be plenty of strength.
    As a bonus, it transmits light better and is lighter.
    Also, you might consider making it completely clear, then painting the outside white.
    Bounces light around better, so more efficient, plus clear acrylic is usually cheaper than black.
    Doesn't look as cool though.

The above might apply to SM100 as well.

Administrator

The acrylic people tell me that 3/16 is as thin as you can go while still getting a water proof seal. As for painting, it would be a big extra step, and would not block all the light. Black is working fine, looks good, and blocks all the light. Plus, there is already too much light, and I'm having to find ways to disperse it.

Administrator

Finally, I have a combination that has some green. Had to up the flow on the one-sided screen from 50 to 75 gph on the one screen (am not currently using the other screen), and reduce the lighting to 16 hours. Bulb is 1 inch (2.54 cm) from the screen. The bulb is setting on the bottom of the box at an angle, and the screen is also at an angle, and that's the reason that the burned-yellow part is at the bottom, and why the waterline is tilted:

(right click and "view image" to see the whole pic)

I cleaned it today, then sanded the clear window to diffuse the light. The bulb is so near to the screen that you are almost able to see the outline of the bulb in the growth. Scattering the light should help a lot; it's just a matter of how much.

To build this at home, you would just attach vinyl tubing to the pipe, and set the screen down evenly inside the box.

SM, how's the progress coming on this?

I first saw your design on the 100, and started thinking about how I could make one half that size, but it's difficult to find inexpensive T5 fixtures, and most are at the 24" + level. Then this one came along! I'm currently running a 28g JBJ Nano, which by your calculations with both screens running should be totally covered by this design.

Couple comments:
    I think selling with or without a pump would be valuable. The JBJ comes with 266gph pumps, both of which I've replaced, and I know others have too.
    I also think that there are those of us who do know what they're doing, and don't want complete turnkey, but still want the basics built, like the box, light fixture, screen, base plumbing, but skip the timer, pump, etc.
    Mounting straps are interesting, but how about a version that's just simple, rests on a shelf above the nano to flow the pods into the "rear sump" of a nano.
    For me, excess light may also be an issue. It's hard to tell from your pics if you built an acrylic mount for the light or not, but if you do/are, silenx makes fantastic quiet fans. They don't have 2.5mm fans, but do have 4mm fans that perhaps could be mounted on the light end.

Questions
    How did you make the screen holder/flower? Looks like a square tube?
    Do you have other pictures of the box to see how everything is fitting together?
    Are you running two screens yet or still just one?

Thanks again! You have a convert on your hands, just waiting for the right product!

Administrator

Yes the 100 would be a bit overkill for a 28g, unless you were attempting a breeder or a true non-photo tank.

The 25 will come with a pump, simply because they are so cheap. So at least you will have a backup pump that works properly, in case the one you get yourself breaks or does not work right. By far, all the cost is the box and the details, not the pump. And I don't think it's going to come with a timer.

The basic unit will not have a mount; it will be like you said... it will just set on top of something. Most people with nano's have them near shelves, etc. There will be an optional floor-stand, or side-of-tank mount.

The escaped-lighting is still being figured out. After the light-vs-growth issue is solved, then I'll figure out the drain, then I'll figure out the escaped light, then I'll figure out the mounting. There will be no cooling fan.

The current screen holder is just hobby tubing from a model shop, square, with a slot cut in it. I'll have more pics once I start testing both sides together, which I will be doing on the next box that I just ordered, which will have diffuser plates instead of clear windows.

Still hoping to be able to sell it for $199 USD, plus optional mounting/stand.

Nice. Can't wait. I also have a local acrylic / plastics shop here too, so I may run over to see how much it would run to buy and cut it. Only problem is all the details I don't have

Keep it moving!

Craig

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information