+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bacteria only scrubber

Re: bacteria only scrubber

Here is a little input
    Randy Holmes

In a carbon dosed unskimmed system, the nutrients may just be driven more effectively into the food chain, from bacteria on up. I consider that an experiment. Some of the nitrogen will disappear as N2 gas, but the phosphate will end up somewhere.

Administrator

Yes, same thing I was saying. If corals grow more, this will take up some P and slow down the buildup in the system. But any heterotrophic organism (like corals) can only absorb some of the P, while the rest passes through it. Only autotrophic organisms (algae, in this case) can absorb more P than it releases.

Yes, the P comes down slower than the N and neither go to absolute zero. I have thought about returning to an old “No-No” that I use to do when my ATS worked too well in my old tank. That is, adding fish fertilizer. When I added that nasty stuff, the algae perked up.

After doing some study and experimentation on my old tank over 8 or 10 years, I really don't believe in the nutrient bomb. Never the less, this development does cause me some concern. I don't want to tear the sump down because it is doing so well. I would just feel more comfortable with continuous nutrient export so that the N and P stand together closer to zero but not absolute zero. I find that over scrubbing is not good for xenias and the like.

…but when I feed at very high levels, I want to have an open mind to look for opportunity to build a more complete food chain and I think that consumption can and should be more wide spread that just algae. We have to remember that an ATS is just a tool. My opinion is that it is far and away the best tool but I want to say with a smile ...it's a tool nun the less.

Your thread caught my interest, because I live in Greensboro, NC. I was not aware of anyone running a ATS locally.

I am aware of a few FOWLR with Live rock only and no skimmer in area.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information