+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hmm......

Hmm......

I like this idea. I hate the humm of my skimmer.
    I see you(santamonica)made reference to PualB in a post a while back. Anyway. I have seen his scrubber before and know that it is horizontal. I'm thinking of trying it that way as I'm limited to space under my tank with other garbage. This trough will be sitting on the cross members and about 3ft. long(3-4"w) using plastic raingutter giving me the 100sq. inches needed for my 90.
    Now SM. I run 48" T5s(54w) about 6" above my water from 11am to 8:30pm. That would place my trough about 3-4" from the closest bulb. Is that enough exposure? And if I figure out flow. Do you think it will work? I've read the FAQs, but I'm the confirmation type.
    And are you in Santa Monica Ca?
    A little about me. Aquariums forever. After figuring out the ECO system. The right fish, inverts, and plants. I stopped using mechanical filters and only used powerheads for water movement. Started a reef tank a little over a year ago and like the K.I.S.S. method. I don't dose anything and don't mind some algae in my tank. Note the "some".
    Thanks

Administrator

Re: Hmm......

Welcome to the site.

Unfortunately you'll have to make changes to your design. Horizontals are less efficient and need to be larger. On top of that, they are one-sided, so they need to be twice as big again, So, instead of 100 sq in, I'd shoot for 400.

T5 bulbs should be within 2" of the screen, and that's if you are reflecting towards the screen. Although your closest one is 3", the farthest would certainly be too far to do anything. And, you are not reflecting towards the screen. So no, they/it would not work.

But, that's using my definition of "work", which is zero measureable N and P during heavy feeding. In other words, If you need results, then don't do it. But if you want to just experiment with growing algae, then yes you can try it, and yes it will use up some N and P.

If you do need results in your small space, build the 100 acrylic version. 6.5 inches high, and it will wipe out your nutrients in no time.

And yes I'm in SM, CA.

Thanks for the reply.
    Ah! I forgot about doubling the horizontal style. See, getting a confirmation of my idea worked. Or that it wouldn't work.
    May still be a fun project.
    Since I stumbled. Well I wouldn't say stumbled. I was searching for something along these lines that led me here. I have come to abore my skimmer and the drone that accompanies it.
    According to what I've read. I need to get something started before removing skimmer transition. I need to go stare at my sump some more.
    Was it cold in S.M. today? It was in H.B. and still is in L.B.

Administrator

A little cool and cloudy today. But my tank and scrubbers are 5 feet from my desk, so I just go stare at them

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information