+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: scrubber questions

scrubber questions

im new hear and learning i have built a scrubber its in the sump 14 wide 20 tall reo pump 1700 the flow is about 490 witch it calls for it has two spot lights may need more they are 90 watts and rated as 26 watts 1200 lumes 6500k about 4 inchs away been on 24-7 for week nothing growing yet the material was ruffed up hole saw just try to fighure out if need more light or flow thanks

Administrator

Re: scrubber questions

18 hour lights on

6 hours lights off

should i do that now do you think i need more light thanks

Administrator

Do it first. If not enough filtering after a month, add two more bulbs.

thanks seems to working its turning all brown now thanks

if the brown get to look oily clean it off straight away

its turning green when should i clean it and whats the best way to clean and how clean should it bee also seems like the waters not flowing as well should the slot be a little bigger thanks

Administrator

Leave the slot for now.

There are three reasons a screen needs weekly cleanings: 1) The FW in the sink kills the pods that will eat the algae, 2) The algae you clean off is nitrate and phosphate that you just removed from your tank, and 3) As the algae gets thicker on the screen, the outer layers start shading the inner layers, causing the inner layers to die and flow back into the tank, re-introducing nitrate and phosphate, and also clouding the water.

After 7 days, it's time for cleaning. Take the screen out and put it in the sink, and while lightly running tap water on it, very very lightly give it a soft rub with your fingers (not fingernails). Don't force it, or remove it all the way to the screen. All the green algae you removed is nitrate and phosphate from your tank.

Now wait another 7 days and do it again. If the growth is real dark like oil, then clean more often, like every 5 days, or 3 days, until it starts going green. When it's green you can go back to 7 days. Here is a cleaning video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6PGUMJNvEU

----------

After several months, you may start getting some thick brown algae that feels like clumps, which won't come off. That's turf algae. It's not good or bad, it's just different. You'll need to cut it off once a month or so, using a razor blade. I personally don't like it; I like lots of green hair algae better.

thank you for your help

got some more questions seem to be working some what it does not get that green like my friends its green in spots and brownish green not sure what i need to do thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information